I am totally confused on what AV receiver I should buy for my setup, can you advise ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i own some Focal 816v front speakers and all so have a Focal centre and surround. I keep reading that certain receivers sound different with different makes of speakers, which worries me about buying something blind.

I am just looking for a black receiver to power my setup, am not to bothered about 3D HDMI. Just want something that will work nice with my Focals.

Happy to buy from the second hand market. Budget £600-£1000

A

Anonymous

Hi I am upgrading from a Onkyo 805 so looking for something a little different really. :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I wouldnt put the Onkyo as a natural partner to the Focals'. I would think something a bit fuller will give you more. At your price point I would consder the new Yamaha or perhaps even Marantz range. The 2067 should give you a more solid, focused sound with less of the Front/Back of the Onkyo.

If you can a strecth on your budget will get you up to one of the outgoing Yamaha DSP-Z7's - the end of line prices are amazing.

A

Anonymous

So would a Yamaha RXV3900 be a good choice then ?

Hoe about any of these as I have noticed them on the second hand market

Denon 3808A HD Receiver

Pioneer SC-LX72

?

jolie1234:
Hi i own some Focal 816v front speakers and all so have a Focal centre and surround. I keep reading that certain receivers sound different with different makes of speakers, which worries me about buying something blind.

I am just looking for a black receiver to power my setup, am not to bothered about 3D HDMI. Just want something that will work nice with my Focals.

Happy to buy from the second hand market. Budget £600-£1000

Hi jolie1234

Ime Focal speakers can be a little forward sounding so it would not be ideal to partner them with AV amplifiers of similar presentation. I have a couple of clients who own Focal speakers and use them primararly for movie use. They both use Yamaha AV amplifiers. One client uses a RX-V3800 and the other client the RX-V3900.

Therefore with your speakers i will also suggest the RX-V3900, at a stretch the superb DSP-Z7 or if you are happy buying used then the RX-V3800. Tonally both of these amplifiers will work well with your speakers giving a clear and even balance without thickening the sound and thereby leaving the qualities of your speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jolie1234: I keep reading that certain receivers sound different with different makes of speakers, which worries me about buying something blind.

You're absolutely correct. Make sure you demo different receivers before buying one. We all have different listening preferences, & what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately I am not able to demo. I might just buy the receiver I can get the best deal from at the time, am sure its not gonna sound awful!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts