I am so glad I DIDNT get a bk monolith

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Already blown one light bulb with my ikon sub mk2, today was playing some music and the bass was lacking. Thought the sub was being weird as turned gain up to

max and sounded same. Turns out sub wasn't on! Turned it on. And me and my mum both got heart attack. The whole room was shaking. Such a priceless moment! For music it's never missed a note which is so good for a ported and it sounds amazing with any source even youtube

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Already blown one light bulb with my ikon sub mk2, today was playing some music and the bass was lacking. Thought the sub was being weird as turned gain up to

max and sounded same. Turns out sub wasn't on! Turned it on. And me and my mum both got heart attack. The whole room was shaking. Such a priceless moment! For music it's never missed a note which is so good for a ported and it sounds amazing with any source even youtube

From your many threads about the subject, in one of them I've told you that with your space if you buy a BK Monolith was like bringing home a Great Dane... Yes you did bring a Dane but not the actual one...*biggrin*

1d6a1278bcb75afe8b4a1b9d95714373_zps6df4c8c7.jpg

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Now you know what I meant when I said that the subwoofer will bring the single biggest improvement to your system! *biggrin*

definetly. sounds better with movies than it does with music but i guess any sub would. still have it on for music but i bet it eats up loads of pennies for the electricity :( sure i read it uses 500watts max?! which is over double what the 1040 av receiver uses..

At around 10p per KWh, and 300W, for a 2 hour film you'll be looking at around 6p. This is assuming your subwoofer is being employed continuously at its maximum for the full 2 hours......which never happens. An AV receiver will use the maximum for the entire 2 hours. So a subwoofer is cheaper to run.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
At around 10p per KWh, and 300W, for a 2 hour film you'll be looking at around 6p. This is assuming your subwoofer is being employed continuously at its maximum for the full 2 hours......which never happens. An AV receiver will use the maximum for the entire 2 hours. So a subwoofer is cheaper to run.

oh thats new info to me. thanks :) every time i watched a film i kept thinking i used more electric than i was meant to.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Also it's weird how av receivers always use the max.. All them watts (inuding sub) just to stream from iPhone via airplay! I'm sure it's not a lot but compared to my TV using about 130 it seems weird

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
work on sub placemement and setup and it will sound good for music as well

Bit tricky... The power cable supplied is not long at all and I only had enough room to place it in one spot! I'm gonna put it in the alcove corner in couple of days see what it sounds like. Wish I could send a photo so u see what it looks like and if it would be sensible placement

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/5m-Kettle-Lead-Moulded-Coloured/dp/B0048S3YA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407527650&sr=8-3&keywords=kettle+lead+5m

Just a thought

James

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I just stuck the sub in the corner in the alcove.. HOLY COW!!!!! Never felt such impact. Not quite concert atmosphere where you feel it impact your body but maybe I have to stand next to it :p..

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I just need a bigger subwoofer cable.. As it's just stuck in middle of room like a sore thumb I wanna have it going along side of room then behind sofa to corner and mine doesn't quite reach. I might need about a 10m cable (have 7.5m ATM) cost £20 from richer sounds. If I spent a bit more would it also improve sound quality over a cheap one?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
I just stuck the sub in the corner in the alcove.. HOLY COW!!!!! Never felt such impact. Not quite concert atmosphere where you feel it impact your body but maybe I have to stand next to it :p..

For the extra impact you can always put it on your lap...

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
NO NO NO ! , Nugget dude , that sub you have there is one of the finest speakers , you got so lucky , just spend 20 quid max on anew cable it'll be fine , if you do buy a longer power cable just check the fuse is rated the same

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts