I am looking to buy a 2nd hand CD player for £150, advice please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking on ebay with a budget of £150 for a 2nd hand CD player. Currently I am looking at Arcam Alhpa 8SE and Arcam CD72. What do people reckon to the relative merits of these two players and are there any others I should consider in this price range.

My setup is Cyrus Two amp with PBX & Mission 751 speakers

Regards, Ben

A

Anonymous

Those two players hold their value insanely well and thus are poor buys 2nd hand.

IMO

A

Anonymous

So what new or second hands players do people recommend for this budget?

A

Anonymous

I picked up a mint condition Arcam CD62 of Ebay for £80 last year. I had a Cambridge 640c but found it too bright with my Audiolab 8000a and Epos ELS3's. The Arcam is superb adding a bit of warmth but with plenty of detail. I would imagine that more expensive models such as the CD73 would be even better

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Alpha 8SE CDP would be a good buy but i doubt very much youll get a CD72 for anywhere near that price.

The NAD C315 CDP is supposed to be very good and you could get it new at that price.

Whats the rest of your system and what music do you listen to?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
£150? I would buy a cd or a dvd player that has a good transport fitted without costing too much (either a Pioneer PD-S series with Stable Platter turntable or SONY DVP-S7700 DVD player should do a good job)

Then add a Beresford DAC. and you will be hard push to find a better way to spend £150 on disc spinner.

jaz9090

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I saw a Cambridge Audio azur 640C v2 for £150 at a cash converters, its a really good CD player, I have the v1 of the 640C which I just got for £99 at Richer sounds.

James

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]The Alpha 8SE CDP would be a good buy but i doubt very much youll get a CD72 for anywhere near that price. [/quote]

you most definately can get a Arcam CD72 for under £150 - they go for less than that all the time on ebay. at this price (considering it was £400 new) it represents an excellent buy and sounds amazing - i should know, i have one and love it! i would choose it over the Arcam Alpha as it is newer and so it will have more recent technology and more life left in it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]The Alpha 8SE CDP would be a good buy but i doubt very much youll get a CD72 for anywhere near that price.

The NAD C315 CDP is supposed to be very good and you could get it new at that price.

Whats the rest of your system and what music do you listen to?[/quote]

My setup is Cyrus Two amp with PBX & Mission 751 speakers

I listen to quite a range. Folk, Funk, House, Reggae and a bit of Electro and Rock/Indy

T

the record spot

Excellent speakers by the way - the 751s packed a punch but were as detailed as you'd find for under £500 (they were £300 in their day). I had a pair and they were outright killer speakers; hang on to them if they're still doing the business.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts