I am Confused.Com... i think

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi every one, just need to clarify a couple of things if i may, i have tried for many years to keep on top of new products and what is changing in this fast moving hobby we call home cinema, i have read many threads and even given advice on what i know or think would be a fair answer. But just when i thought i had this HD stuff sorted i realised just how complex it can be, or at least confusing so here we go.

Am i right in thinking that to get Full HD Sound from an amp, lets say a non HD amp you can connect via Multi channel outs from Blu-ray player to inputs on amp [if they have them] i think i have that right.

Or if you have a HD amp this would be connected from Blu-ray player Via HDMI to amp then out from amp to Screen, this where i think i am getting lost, i have read that on cheaper HD amps where upscaling is not offered it is best to go from sources ie Blu-ray HD-Box etc to go straight to the screen, thus not going through the amp. Now am i right in thinking that if all componants go to screen and not the amp to get Full HD Sound you would have to go the 5.1/7.1 outs from the player to the HD Amp, or to get Full HD from Blu-ray you really do have to go into the amp for it to decode HD sound.

I may be getting confused with sound and picture here, but it is only that i read that sometimes for better picture Quality it is best to straight to the Screen, BUT if you want the HD-amp to decode via HDMI you have to go into the amp from the Blu-ray player, can you see what i am trying to say, i have completely lost it myself now.

If anyone can just clarify, it would be nice just to get my head round this bit of connecting Blu-ray to amp with out using Multi channels out. Blimey and i thought i had this HD thing sorted.
emotion-7.gif

Many thanks fellow forum members

Andy

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
One of the beauties of an AV amp is that it can be the hub of your system, simplifying switching and cutting down on remotes. ÿThe only reason people route signals direct to the TV is if they intend to do a lot of watching with the amp off (just using the TV's speakers).

I have all my sources connected to the amp and ONE HDMI cable between that and the TV. ÿThe amp allows the picture signal from those sources to pass through untouched. ÿI would also recommend a Harmony remote to really make things easy for everyone in the family.

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger:

One of the beauties of an AV amp is that it can be the hub of your system, simplifying switching and cutting down on remotes. The only reason people route signals direct to the TV is if they intend to do a lot of watching with the amp off (just using the TV's speakers).

I have all my sources connected to the amp and ONE HDMI cable between that and the TV. The amp allows the picture signal from those sources to pass through untouched. I would also recommend a Harmony remote to really make things easy for everyone in the family.

I agree with Sorreltiger. I use my Yamaha Z7 remote to operate all equipment.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7:Or if you have a HD amp this would be connected from Blu-ray player Via HDMI to amp then out from amp to Screen, this where i think i am getting lost, i have read that on cheaper HD amps where upscaling is not offered it is best to go from sources ie Blu-ray HD-Box etc to go straight to the screen, thus not going through the amp.

The thing you need to ask yourself is, if your Blu-Ray player is already putting out a 1080p picture, why do you need the amp to upscale? And upscale to what? In this instance a non-upscaling amp will simply pass the 1080p video through to the screen, it isn't going to downscale it, so the picture should look exactly the same as if you'd connected straight from BD to screen.

Upscaling is only relevent if the input isn't already HD, ie a DVD player or non-HD Sky for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts