I’m swapping my Sony wireless headphones for a wired pair from Beyerdynamic - here’s why

Robster

Jun 14, 2022
Visit site
I've always believed that mobile phone companies like Apple and Samsung moved to wireless and ditched the earphone socket as there are much greater profits to be made. Also, look at Apple Airpod advertising where the subjects fly through the air. That you can't do that with wired earphones is the only advantage the advertising executives came up with. Wired earphones often state the frequency range, whereas Bluetooth ones don't for the simple reason that Bluetooth has a very limited data throughput, hence the continual need for greater compression technologies.

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
I've always believed that mobile phone companies like Apple and Samsung moved to wireless and ditched the earphone socket as there are much greater profits to be made. Also, look at Apple Airpod advertising where the subjects fly through the air. That you can't do that with wired earphones is the only advantage the advertising executives came up with. Wired earphones often state the frequency range, whereas Bluetooth ones don't for the simple reason that Bluetooth has a very limited data throughput, hence the continual need for greater compression technologies.
I'm going to politely disagree with you. I have wired headphones I use when I'm at home and I love them but wireless when on the move is much more convenient. Back in the wired mobile headphones days there were countless times I sat down and pulled a wire out or it got wrapped around something or caught on something. You have to keep your phone a certain distance from you which would mean leaning towards the credit card machine for Apple / Google Pay on the 1m long cables most wired headphones suitable for mobile have. All little things that collectively make them a pain over time.

Yes, wired headphones sound better but if that engrossed in audio on the move that you can notice the difference or care about it then you're likely to be a hazard to yourself and others.

Gummibando

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
Why would you need to check MIDI settings?

IMHO, a great convenience/portability/quality "middle ground" option for wired headphones is the Qudelix 5K USB/Bluetooth DAC. Connects to your computer via USB and to your phone via BT. The accompanying app even supports pEQ headphone correction via the massive AutoEq database.

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Why not try the Sonys with the supplied wired connection? I use the XM3s this way when I am at home and while the different sound profile needs the Mojo 2’s EQ to be used, it sounds superior to wireless to me.

Mr_Build3r

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
I'm going to politely disagree with you. I have wired headphones I use when I'm at home and I love them but wireless when on the move is much more convenient. Back in the wired mobile headphones days there were countless times I sat down and pulled a wire out or it got wrapped around something or caught on something. You have to keep your phone a certain distance from you which would mean leaning towards the credit card machine for Apple / Google Pay on the 1m long cables most wired headphones suitable for mobile have. All little things that collectively make them a pain over time.

Yes, wired headphones sound better but if that engrossed in audio on the move that you can notice the difference or care about it then you're likely to be a hazard to yourself and others.

The original comment mentioned the wireless convenience you just did, just a lot more exaggerated. That doesn't mean the headphones jack needed to be removed for it, but everyone chose to copy Rotten Fruit Company's "courage" to make it inevitable.

Mr_Build3r

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
The only time I go with wireless nowadays is when I can find it for cheap. Wireless earbuds are very convenient, but not worth the $100+ when they become useless bricks, so I buy old stock when I can. Wireless headphones are a different story for me. Unless your apple and remove the headphone jack with zero USB audio support on a pair of flippin' headphones, they have potential. My main issue lies in the tuning never being what I want (I'm a weirdo that really wants neutral).

I use a pair of AKG N90Q and would love for there to be a wireless version as it's sound and tuning matches a lot of my "audiophile" grade wired headphones, while giving me that sweet noise cancelling and even wired spatial audio. But unfortunately AKG is wasted by Harman and Samsung nowadays and no other company has given me that same appeal on paper (although I do want to give Bower & Wilkins a try with their more competitively priced px7).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts