Hypex Modules the next HiFi Navana?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ivan at IPL told me about these evidently amazing amp Modules that are recieving huge interest in amp manufactures "they represent a new generation of switching power converters truly performing as amplifiers."

Abrahamsen said they had sourced some amazing new components for future models. Could they be these?

Has anybody heard of them or the technology, thoughts?

http://www.hypex.nl/

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
First, there was the UcD amp, invented by Bruno Putzeys, when he was still working for Philips. Hypex used the technology, and paid Philips for that. Meanwhile Bruno was employed by Hypex, and a couple of years ago, he made his NCore amp. The first version, the NC1200 (1200 W into 2 Ohm!) was only available for OEM, and used for amps in the £10.000 range (amongst which his own Mola-Mola amp).

But -- surprise, surprise -- Hypex launched a second NCore amp module, the NC400 (400 W into 4 Ohm), exclusively aimed at the DIY community. It's said to be even smoother sounding than the UcD, and has a real cult amongst DIY'ers.

I have my NC400 amp modules and PS-600 power supplies, lying in a drawer, till I start my next project: active Maggies, with NCore amplification. I hope to start later this year. But there was a (short) thread on here where the OP reported on his self-built NC400 based power amp -- must be a couple of months ago.

And meanwhile, NAD uses the NC400, with a different PS IIRC, for their new Master Series indeed. And rumour has it, Bruno has a NC-500 in the pipeline too!

Interesting times...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Bruno Putzeys named his first amplifier design UcD, which stands for Universal Class D. That typical Belgian modesty!

The story goes that he developed UcD in three weeks', and it outclassed the class D amp Philips was working on since several years. Big time. Philips never used UcD though. It was Hypex that picked it up, and Bruno followed his UcD to work for Hypex.

And the rest, as they say, is history...

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow Doc what a concise and informative answer thanks for taking the trouble. They would seem to be a superb product. The exiting components they found were in Switzerland, and I dont think they were talking about resistors! Your Amp project sounds very interesting are you going to run a thread on the build? Im wondering if there is a market for a well made, if you like DIY solution like Im doing with the speakers, get a nice case design etc. Although Im a qualified electronics engineer I was never a very good one! On the other hand my brother is a bit of a design genius, I could get him to design one. Anyway I look forward to seeing your progress with the amp project, dust them down and get them out of the cuboard.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Wow Doc what a concise and informative answer thanks for taking the trouble. They would seem to be a superb product. The exiting components they found were in Switzerland, and I dont think they were talking about resistors!

In Switzerland? That must be some other hidden treasure. Bruno Putzeys is Belgian, Hypex is based in the Netherlands, and the Kii-speakers -- mentioned earlier -- are German.

iQ Speakers said:
Your Amp project sounds very interesting are you going to run a thread on the build?

Sure will, or rather, I'll resurrect my old thread (though back then I thought of class A amps, rather than NCore). I hope to start the project by the end of this year. After a housemove (finally!), that is.

iQ Speakers said:
Im wondering if there is a market for a well made, if you like DIY solution like Im doing with the speakers, get a nice case design etc. Although Im a qualified electronics engineer I was never a very good one! On the other hand my brother is a bit of a design genius, I could get him to design one.

If you consider 'activating' the iQs, you might as well build the amps, power supply and XO into the cabinet. Look into Hypex's DSP-boards for starters!

Honestly, the NCore amp is hardly a DIY project (in the strict sense of the word). It looks really straightforward. Crimping or soldering a couple of wires together is about the most delicate step in the build. I read it's feasible in 2-3 hours, if you're familiar with it.

TRENDING THREADS