Humax Icord 1TB HDD replacement problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi! Maybe someone could help me. I've got Humax icord 160gb and wanted to replace it with 1TB. (Read that is possible and many people have done it easy). So I bought 1TB WD 10EACS HDD and put it in my I-cord. When I switch it on it says ''hdd not formatted, Formatted will be started now'' I press OK. Screen goes black and that is it. Waiting and waiting 30min nothing happens. Any idea why is that? Maybe someone could help me would be fantastic!!!?? I have latest software!!Thank You!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Maciek:Hi! Maybe someone could help me. I've got Humax icord 160gb and wanted to replace it with 1TB. (Read that is possible and many people have done it easy). So I bought 1TB WD 10EACS HDD and put it in my I-cord. When I switch it on it says ''hdd not formatted, Formatted will be started now'' I press OK. Screen goes black and that is it. Waiting and waiting 30min nothing happens. Any idea why is that? Maybe someone could help me would be fantastic!!!?? I have latest software!!Thank You!!

This is for a techie. I would google under Sky box bigger drive or similar. I only know how to format through a pc.

A

Anonymous

I just put different drive 300gb and it detects is and formats it. Terrible maybe I have spent 90 pound for nothing!!!! I have to find the way to resolve it. I now that you need to format it in linux. I don't have linux only windows. Can I format it?? And can I format it through usb as I have only laptop and can't pu 3,5 HDD in??? terrible I can't even test HDD

daveh75

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:
IIRC the ichord can only format drives upto 500gb for some reason, if you go bigger than that they have to be pre-formatted with linux based software.

Your best bet would be to head over to either http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/ or http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141 , and post your problem there.I know that a couple of the digital spy forum members are humax R&D team so should be able to help

Ouch! You should be able to sell it though.

A

Anonymous

So. I don't have to sell it then. I need to pre-format it in linux and then I can put it in my I-cord? Will that be ok?? Does anyone know how to do it? How to format it if I have only windows?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Only advice I would offer is whatever size drive you decide upon, go with a set top box specific Hard Drive as they have much lower power consumption and more importantly heat signature.

I know of one person who replaced the hard drive in his Humax HDR only to report that he could fry eggs on the top!! (not literally of course).

I put a 1TB WD PVR specific drive in my HDR and it runs icy cool.

However, for your box you need to overcome the formatting issue 1st. If you ask Graham Thompson on the digital spy forums, he can point you in the direction of some linux software that can be burnt to a disc then used as a temporary boot environment to boot your windows PC into a linux environment. However, you need to check if the formating issue will work if done via pc. I can't vouch for that.

daveh75

Dont think he's at a total loss tbh, I think there's a work around by getting hold of usb to sata cable/some proprietary software to format the drive. Just can't remember where i read/heard about it now.

A

Anonymous

It has to work somehow as I read about people who have 1TB in their I-cord so it is definetely possible. I couldn't find how to do it though. First thing I need is usb caddle which supports 1TB as I have only laptop no desktop.

A

Anonymous

I have bought WD10EACS which is low power consuption drive. What if I get a 3,5 sata caddle, connect it to computer format it and put it back to my I-cord?

daveh75

Maciek: What if I get a 3,5 sata caddle, connect it to computer format it and put it back to my I-cord? I believe it was something along those lines that you need to to yes, still trying to find the original article i saw this mentioned but no joy atm will post it if i find it though.

It's still probably worth your while heading over to the digital spy forums and posting your problem there tbh

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Maciek:I have bought WD10EACS which is low power consuption drive. What if I get a 3,5 sata caddle, connect it to computer format it and put it back to my I-cord?

Exactly what I bought.

Maciek:It has to work somehow as I read about people who have 1TB in their I-cord so it is definetely possible. I couldn't find how to do it though. First thing I need is usb caddle which supports 1TB as I have only laptop no desktop.

http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/product_info.php?ref=7&products_id=693

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts