Humax Freesat box with component connection

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
...........can someone please explain how to record to a HDD dvd player from the Humax. I am connecting the Humax to LCD by component cable and then scart RGB from Humax to HDD dvd player. The problem I have is that in the manual it says that when using component, the component switch (on the back of the unit) should be flicked to Ycbr (or whatever) and when using scart it should be flicked to RGB. Does this mean that you need to keep changing over? What would happen if I had it set to RGB when watching through component, would it be a weaker picture?

A

Anonymous

To be honest, the switch on the back suggests that the Humax may not output a scart and component signal simultaneously. We've contacted Humax about this and will let you know when they've responded.

This may sound obvious, but does your HDD recorder have a component input? This way you should be able to daisy-chain your equipment. I.E. Humax to Recorder to TV.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tom Parsons"]To be honest, the switch on the back suggests that the Humax may not output a scart and component signal simultaneously. We've contacted Humax about this and will let you know when they've responded.

This may sound obvious, but does your HDD recorder have a component input? This way you should be able to daisy-chain your equipment. I.E. Humax to Recorder to TV.[/quote] Thanks Tom. No, only the one set of component connections. It's the RDR-HX510.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tom Parsons"]To be honest, the switch on the back suggests that the Humax may not output a scart and component signal simultaneously. We've contacted Humax about this and will let you know when they've responded.

This may sound obvious, but does your HDD recorder have a component input? This way you should be able to daisy-chain your equipment. I.E. Humax to Recorder to TV.[/quote] Hi Tom. I got a response from Humax - One of the requirements of the specification is that certain content is restricted from being output in certain ways from the products. The broadcaster is able to signal that a programme, event or entire service is blocked from being output from the analogue connections in high quality from either the SCART RGB or Component Analogue HD RCA connectors. It also means that if their HD TV doesn't have an HDMI/DVI input that supports "HDCP" or if the TV is using the analogue component HD connections, then it will not be viewable on the TV set. This part of the specification is required by the broadcast rights holders (such as the programme makers and film studios) and is controlled by the broadcasters. Humax has had no input in this and we are just doing what we are required to do. If you wish to use the Humax and the DVD player then you can connect it to the second scart on the Humax and use the Source button to switch between the Humax and the DVD (switch should be set to RGB). I ended up setting the system up again on Saturday using RGB scart from tv to Humax, RGB from Humax to HDD dvd player and component from HDD dvd player to tv. I connected coaxial from dvd to amp and optical from Humax to amp. Another problem arose though. It recorded fine but no sound on playback. Now I know that component and RGB do not carry sound. When I record from Humax the picture is going through RGB scart to HDD. Where is the sound "going"? Do I need an audio connection from the Humax to the dvd player? Or straight to the tv? I am flummoxed once more.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If the HDD recorder is outputting to the TV via component, then yes you need an audio connection to the TV, too, if you want to watch recordings with sound via the TV's speakers. RGB Scart carries audio, but component doesn't, so you can either run the output from the recorder to the TV on the Scart connection or, if you want to use component, run a pair of analogue audio cables from the recorder's output to the analogue audio input on the TV.

You should also check whether the Humax is actually outputting sound via the Scart connection - the simplest way is to connect the Scart straight to the TV. It could be that selecting the digital audio output on the Humax has somehow switched off the analogue out via the Scart.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
If the HDD recorder is outputting to the TV via component, then yes you need an audio connection to the TV, too, if you want to watch recordings with sound via the TV's speakers. RGB Scart carries audio, but component doesn't, so you can either run the output from the recorder to the TV on the Scart connection or, if you want to use component, run a pair of analogue audio cables from the recorder's output to the analogue audio input on the TV.

You should also check whether the Humax is actually outputting sound via the Scart connection - the simplest way is to connect the Scart straight to the TV. It could be that selecting the digital audio output on the Humax has somehow switched off the analogue out via the Scart.

[/quote] Thanks Andrew, I shall attempt this. It's my father's set up - he hasn't a clue. It's just a pain that I live a fair distance away and I'm buying cables and playing around with his system. So there is a chance that once I have got him to connect analogue audio cables from HDD to tv, there will still be no sound because the Humax has not recorded sound? I have to say that it's a confusing system and I've advised him that when Humax bring out a Sky + version of the Humax Freesat box, he would be better off selling his Humax box and HDD dvd player and buying a cheapish upscaling player and the HDD Freesat box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts