Humax Aura

The_Burg

Apr 10, 2021
Visit site
I do wonder if you actually lived with this box for a while.?
Major issues with lip sync, constantly need to reboot to solve it.
Unable to play from usb or network without apps. Picture and sound well below the FVP5000. You can't back up recordings to USB nor transfer to the hard disk.
Lots of potential, sadly very poor implementation.
The app only talks when on the same network too, so of little real use. Streaming on a tablet whilst someone else is watching on the device creates even more synch issues.
I bought it back in November, wish I'd sent it back. Persevered as I expected the issues to be sorted quickly with updates.
Humax peaked with the Fox HDR which was brilliant and worked really well. The 5000 was ok, but could forgive for the extra features.
The Aura.....

daneel

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
As an FVP-5000 owner, I wouldn't touch Humax products with a barge pole, if folk are saying that the Aura isn't as good as the 5000, then it must be even more dreadful than the dreadful FVP-5000

schree

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
After living with an Aura for a year. I do not recommend it.

There are too many glitches - reboots during watching TV or catchup too much. The chromecast builtin youtube casting stops working.

Support are not helpful. Just factory resets are offered. There has not been any firmware update for a long time. Feels like its unsupported and out of date.

I think you need to update your review with this sort of input.

Mike Shippers

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
The Aura isn't up to Humax's normal high standards. I have loved Humax's FreeSat and then the previous via-ariel Freeview versions of this set-top box for the last 14 years and upgraded last year. This has been nothing but buggy and irritating.

The ultimate test of any piece of tech kit is would you buy it again or recommend it to someone you care for? Nope. Even the way the remote control is layed out is rushed and not intuitive. The button to find your recordings is hidden away and too small. I'm constantly miskeying and once you press the wrong button you lose what you were trying to do and clear the cached program you were trying to watch.

When rewinding, unlike previous versions, you could see the clock time making it easy, say to find the BBC's One O'Clock News, they've changed to cached total time and it's now a pain in the Botticelli. Everything about it is clunky and awkward. It lacks the ability to control it with your voice assistant, and for the first time in 14 years, I regret buying a Humax bit of kit.

There are so many rushed decisions that don't work (but did perfectly on previous incarnations) or are clunky. When watching cached programmes, it intermittently blacks-out every 3 or 4 minutes and misses bits, and they still haven't dealt with the glaring deficiencies in the EPG or sorting of recorded items. Spoke to supplier John Lewis' tech team and did a reset, but this hasn't resolved this particular issue. This box has so many niggles, it compounds them and makes it an issue.

There are brief reviews that return great results - on the face of it - and there's owning and living with a piece of tech that constantly irritates, lets you down and fails to deliver. The Aura is not a good piece of kit.

RichSM

Sep 9, 2021
Visit site
Same manufacturer as the BT TV set top boxes, which offer pretty much the same functionality - they are old and slow now, but it does the job.

Chris Owen

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
Thinking about getting the Aura as a Freeview replacement for my aging Humax Foxsat (freest).
But I can't get to grips with how it handles advert deletion on playback. The fox sat has a dedicated button to fast forward by a programmable amount (mine is 2 mins) but the Aura doesn't have this, although it does have a fast forward button. How does everyone do this ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts