Hum through left speaker with turntable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Pro-ject Debut II turntable, plugged into a Yamaha AX396 amp. There is a hum through only the left speaker when I use the turntable with or without the earth wire connected to the amp. Could it be that there is a loose cable to the cartridge or is this still likely to be an earthing problem? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
If you are not getting it through the other sources you are using it will either be the tt or the phono circuit, eliminate the phono by plugging another source into it. Earth wire should always be attached, i think. I think if it is the turntable and it was an earthing problem it would be through both channels, so another reason more likely, maybe worth dropping project a line to ask the question of what it could be?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Last time I had this on my Rega 2, it was due to the ground wire (or rather, left negative) on the cartridge not being on correctly.

Using a pair on snipe-nosed pliers, and with the phono lead to the amp disconnected, *VERY* carefully remove and re-attach each cartridge lead a couple of times to remove any oxidisation.

Make sure you do it one at a time to avoid confusion as to which one goes where (speaking from experience here!)

Then try it again - hopefully this would have done the trick

A

Anonymous

That's almost certainly an earthing issue. being as it is only 1 channel I would say the 0v of the signal wire (for that channel) has become decoupled from the global earth.

So this could be anywhere from the needle itself to the phono sockets at the back of your amp (including the lead). I'm willing to be it's somewhere inside the turntable itself tho. Try the cartridge thing suggested above.

A

Anonymous

If the sound is OK from both channels it could be inductive pick up from the mains transformer of the amplifier if it's close by. Might be worth temporarily separating them to test this.

A

Anonymous

Well, I took the turntable into my local Practical Hi-Fi. They changed the cartridge, largely because the same one had been on for some time and it was due for a replacement and declared the turntable fine after listening to it for some time.

I took the turntable home and, within five minutes, the hum (at a very low frequency) had returned. This hum only occurred with the turntable's power connected to the mains (previously it hummed whether the power was connected or not). So, I took both the turntable and amp to Practical Hi-Fi for further investigation.

This fault being somewhat erratic, it took the best part of 15 minutes to manifest itself in the shop. With the turntable connected to another amp it behaved perfectly. So, we plugged another turntable into my amp, again its behaviour was perfect. I've now left both with Practical Hi-Fi for further investigation in the hope that the fault can be traced.

This is basically to thank Practical Hi-Fi for their excellent and patient customer service on a pair of items that are each at least eight years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts