HTC One Benchmarks crush opposition

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Preliminary benchmarks show the new HTC One absolutely crushing other smartphones. This is going to be a good year to get a new phone with almost 2x the speed of last years phones.

The numbers look correct as Qualcomms new CPU (the 600) is 40% faster than the S4 Pro in the Nexus4, and HTC One CPU is also clocked 15% higher at 1.7GHZ and uses fast dual-channel ram.

Quadrant

Nexus 4 - 5270, Htc One X - 6745, HTC One 12417

CF-Bench

Samsung GS3 - 13080, HTC One 22760

Antutu

Samsung SG3 - 15547, Sony Experia Z - 20794, HTC One 22678

The problem with HTC is reliability. I faced a lot of problems with my HTC Sensation, with call dropping, random freezes and restart etc. If I remember correctly, even you faced some problems with your HTC One X. I don't feel any of the current phones are slow, so these benchmarks are meaningless in real world. Of course, these may matter if you use graphic intensive apps or games.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
These benchmarks are relatively meaningless for the vast majority of customers. More important, as BB indicated, are reliabilty and 'everyday' speed.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sunspider is a pointless benchmark as it is small enough to fit in the large cache of an iPhone. A more realistic javascript test is vellamo where the IPhone still does reasonably but gets almost doubledby the new phones

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The new Tegra 4 benchmarks are even better -

Quadrant 16436, Antutu 36303, CFBench 41321, Sunspider 499ms.

Looking at performance increase of 2-3x over last years phones.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
For tablets,,,

GeekBench - Ipad4 1779, Tegra4 4148.

GLBench Offscreen - Ipad4 27, Tegra4 57.

Sunspider - Ipad4 854ms, Tegra4 499ms.

While you might not be interested in the benchmarks themselves - what is does mean is that this years Androids will be offering a big step in performance. And you suspect Apple will have to follow suit. This year might be a good year to upgrade your phone or tablet.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm very happy with my HTC One S, and would buy another if I needed to (but I don't because it's rock solid, despite several heavy stone floor falls!).

I much prefer it to the wife's Samsung S3 Mini (and the horrible Nokia lumia 800 she had for 3 weeks).

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
The problem with HTC is reliability. I faced a lot of problems with my HTC ... call dropping, random freezes and restart etc ...

+1 for all of the above.

And the battery life was frustratingly brief, and re-charging was woefully slow.

The GPS never worked indoors or when surrounded by tall buildings.

And the battery removal/reboot routine became all-too familiar :wall:

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura said:
... And battery seems to last 36-48hrs, which seems par for the course on smartphones.

Standby was OK but if I actually used the thing while oot 'n' aboot, the battery was gasping by lunchtime, dead by 3ish. And that was with misanthrope-level usage - ie, poke all.

And during the last two months of the 24-month contract, standby was 15ish hours and usage down to 3 max. Bah!

daveh75

6th.replicant said:
The GPS never worked indoors

Is your house really that big?
smiley-laughing.gif

or when surrounded by tall buildings

To be fair, thats not a problem thats specific to HTC or indeed just smartphones.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
6th.replicant said:
The GPS never worked indoors

Is your house really that big?
smiley-laughing.gif

:rofl:

6th.replicant said:
or when surrounded by tall buildings

daveh75 said:
To be fair, thats not a problem thats specific to HTC or indeed just smartphones.

No wish to get into an Apple vs HTC bout, but IME the iPhone 5's GPS is SAS-spec in comparison :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts