HRT Msic Streamer II vs Audiolab M-DAC - worthwhile upgrade?

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have an HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC which I use in my system below.

I am more than happy with it, but was just wondering if anybody has compared this to the Audiolab M-DAC? I only need USB in so the coaxial, optical and headphone features would all be redundant for me.

Just looking at it from a pure sound quality point of view, in my system. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to plan and save for, or is performance fairly similar once you strip back all the features etc that must do something to increase the price to £600.

Thanks

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I am testing NwAvGuy's combined DAC & Headphone Amplifier at the moment, it's pretty damn nice! (review coming soon)

EDD_2812.jpg

If you like tons of detail with a brighter signature, lots of power and depth, some filters with the cheapest 32bit Sabre DAC on the market then the Audiolab M-DAC kicks ass. For me I prefer the more warmer presentation of the Epiphany which still has very good detail and a wicked soundstage for a stunning price.

I am listening to the Epiphany E-DAC right now with a Shonyun SH-301 amp - very sweet!!

7475285994_15a5a2c36d_b.jpg

EDD_2783.jpg

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I take it that you like the ODAC and O2 amp then? Reviews generally seem very good for this item.

I very much like the ethos behind the ODAC and O2 headphone amp designs and hopefully the ODA (desktop amp) will be out this year. I'd like to replace my audio interface at some stage and the ODA with ODAC, would fit the bill nicely.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
I take it that you like the ODAC and O2 amp then? Reviews generally seem very good for this item.

I very much like the ethos behind the ODAC and O2 headphone amp designs and hopefully the ODA (desktop amp) will be out this year. I'd like to replace my audio interface at some stage and the ODA with ODAC, would fit the bill nicely.
Sorry I missed this comment for a while. Yes I really like the ODAC and O2. It has a signature slightly on the warm side, a smooth feel, great detail and an amazing soundstage. It suits me a bit better than the M-DAC but I wouldn't say it beats it, just makes the value seem a little less impressive. I am still hankering for the M-DAC sound, it's a sharper, more detailed and authoritative sound. The connections and filters are also pretty kick ass.

Chertilo2008

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So which model of DAC could be good upgrade of HRT Music Streamer II to receive at least 2 times better sound?

Thanks for your recommendations in advance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts