How would an old NAD amp compare to an equal of today

T

the record spot

Not bad, it'll be okay, but expect the innards to need a service, maybe replace some capacitors if needed. I have a 3020A from 1986 and it sounds alright, but not a patch on a newer model (Leema Pulse Mk II for instance). No comparison in a straight race.

matthewpiano

Hardly a fair comparison. The 3020 was a budget amp. The Leema certainly isn't.

A fairer comparison would be a 3020 Vs a C316BEE or at a push, a C326BEE. The modern alternative would still win out overall but a good 3020 can still be enjoyable and persuasive to listen to.

T

the record spot

Yeah, fair point, I missed the "equal" bit...! Either way, the warm and comfy slippers presentation of my old NAD would be left sounding a little leaden footed compared to the contemporaries, who typically bring a more detailed and brighter delivery to the party.

matthewpiano

the record spot:Yeah, fair point, I missed the "equal" bit...! Either way, the warm and comfy slippers presentation of my old NAD would be left sounding a little leaden footed compared to the contemporaries, who typically bring a more detailed and brighter delivery to the party.

Completely agree with that RS.

A

Anonymous

I'm hoping to answer this question the next time I've got a decent bit of spare cash to spend on more toys. I've upgraded CD player and speakers recently but it's still being powered by my mid-90s NAD 302. I'm happy with the sound and I know people say that being "happy" is a good position to be in, but there's always a niggling feeling that something shiny and new from Creek or Audiolab, etc, might reveal something else that I'm missing.

swoosta:I have an old mid/late 80's NAD 3020i amp, how would this compare to the same price range amp of today? Any make!

There isn't a component that's comparable with modern stuff: The question you need to ask is whether you prefer the modern day presentation, or does the older, generalising, and slightly smoother sound of the 80s preferable?

Actually, I've already replied to another question, given you have Cambridge stuff, why all the questions

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/587467.aspx

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
swoosta:I have an old mid/late 80's NAD 3020i amp, how would this compare to the same price range amp of today? Any make!

Actually, I've already replied to another question, given you have Cambridge stuff, why all the questions

i have the Cambrige as my HiFI downstairs and the Nad is upstairs - my old setup with Mission speakers. I am thinking about getting a new amp to replace NAD and put the speakers from downstairs to upstairs getting better new speakers downstairs. It takes me ages to decide what to buy - like to research.

swoosta:plastic penguin:

i have the Cambrige as my HiFI downstairs and the Nad is upstairs - my old setup with Mission speakers. I am thinking about getting a new amp to replace NAD and put the speakers from downstairs to upstairs getting better new speakers downstairs. It takes me ages to decide what to buy - like to research.

If you look at my sig you'll see Marntz tuner. I've probably got the oldest component in daily use and connected to my only system and it sounds great... very different from modern equivilents, hence why I posed the earlier question.

Now you seem to have a decent modern amp and a decent older generation example, but going to listen to few different makes is the only answer - if it takes you ages to decide, how can we be of benefit?

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
My 1988 3020e sounds a bit warmer. This can be useful if you want to tame some other over-bright component.

Otherwise it will perform superbly! Heavy beast for it's price too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts