How to use power amp

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
When I use receiver as a pre-amp, do I adjust the equalizer and the power amp outputs to the max, and control volume level with the receiver?

speakerconnections.jpg

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try it all the different possible ways you can and use whatever method you like the sound of best. If they all sound equally good use whatever method is most convenient. When I used a phono amp that had a volume knob into an integrated amp I prefered the sound with the phono amp on max with the integrated for adjusting the volume. With your system it might be different with the first component in the chain being the best for controlling volume. Or it might not. Also, have you tried your system without the equalizer?

A

Anonymous

shooter69 said:
Why not use an EQ??

I've been using a 31 band digital EQ for a while now; it's a revelation i tell ya!

I guess you can't go wrong with a good one

1000zxllimited800.jpg

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes with EQ is better due to getting a more neutral or a more pleasing tonal balance. Sometimes no EQ is better due to the "less is more" approach being more transparent. It will depend how transparent the equalizer is and how neutral the tonal balance is without it, plus what sonic compromises you're happiest with. No hard and fast rules here, as with so many aspects of hi-fi. It all depends.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:
I sometimes use an equalizer, I find it essential with some of the poor mastered recordings.

With an av amp? That has eq functions built in?
Well no, but I dont have an AV set up any more :grin:

But when I did it only had bass, treble and DSP simulation, I assume the OP has a multiple band graphic equalizer or sound shaper.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Sometimes with EQ is better due to getting a more neutral or a more pleasing tonal balance. Sometimes no EQ is better due to the "less is more" approach being more transparent. It will depend how transparent the equalizer is and how neutral the tonal balance is without it, plus what sonic compromises you're happiest with. No hard and fast rules here, as with so many aspects of hi-fi. It all depends.

I'll start a new thread on it instaed of hijacking this one.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Why are you bothering with a separate equalizer?
Well, my room shape is very disadvantageous for accurate audio playback. Onkyo TX-NR509 has only two adjusters for bass and trebleBass-boost on 0: no bass. Bass-boost on 6: no bass.Bass-boost on 8: faint and flat bass with less pressure than fartBass-boost on 10: little punchiness on the kicks, but rumbling/overwhelming bass guitarI assume that my room is too small for my big 12" cerwin's, and the sloped ceiling doesn't improve the situation. I wanted to eliminate the problematical frequencies that causes rumble (bass guitar), and boost the punchy ones (kick drum).
The_Lhc said:
Why are you bothering with a separate equalizer?
Well, my room shape is very disadvantageous for accurate audio playback. Onkyo TX-NR509 has only two adjusters for bass and trebleBass-boost on 0: no bass. Bass-boost on 6: no bass.Bass-boost on 8: faint and flat bass with less pressure than fartBass-boost on 10: little punchiness on the kicks, but rumbling/overwhelming bass guitar
I assume that my room is too small for my big 12" cerwin's, and the sloped ceiling doesn't improve the situation. I wanted to eliminate the problematical frequencies that causes rumble (bass guitar), and boost the punchy ones (kick drum).

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
ntune said:
I assume that my room is too small for my big 12" cerwin's, and the sloped ceiling doesn't improve the situation. I wanted to eliminate the problematical frequencies that causes rumble (bass guitar), and boost the punchy ones (kick drum).

If by 12" Cerwins you mean Cerwin Vega - the problem may well be your speakers. Their repuation is that they are quite poor with bass control. I imagine more suitable speakers would sort the bass problem and remove the need for the equaliser.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got all the equipment, and right now I'm so confused. I have many questions. Is there any changes that I may permanently damage my equipment with receiver+LOC+EQ+power-amp combination? What should I avoid when experimenting with my equipment? I maxed out the power-amp levels, and it didn't sound distorted at all. But when I turned off the receiver while power-amp was still on max levels, speaker produced very loud electrical hum. Should I turn the power-amp levels down before turning off the pre-amp? The equalizer has gain control. Should I keep the gain on 0 (no changes to volume). Once again, check the picture in earlier post. Which is worse: giving speakers too much power from power-amp, or giving too little power from power-amp and forcing the volume up from pre-amp? Is there some good test songs, where I can easily hear the possible distortion?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts