How to use a cleaning set?

zilli

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I just got a Thorens cleaning set (my first cleaning set), but there is no manual included or any information on their website. I also couldn't find any video describing how to use it. I don't have idea how to begin using it. Sorry for this noob question, but how do I use the set? Which tool should go first?

Thanks!

Leave it in the box! Very rarely will cleaning anything make the sound better, unless you have a very well used stylus, charity-shop records, or corroded old plugs. You are likely to do more harm than good in most cases. Get your system working well first.

Good luck!

John Duncan

nopiano said:
Very rarely will cleaning anything make the sound better

I disagree. I think this works wonders:

p891_knosti_disco_antistat_main.jpg

but - that Thorens cleaning set looks as if it's a recipe for creating an awful mess.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
New or old records, vinyl replay (and your stylus) will benefit from a clean. Just had a quick look at the kit and it seems fairly simple, though I use a vacuum cleaner myself. After applying, scrubbing and vacuuming the liquid I find a quick blast with an old hair dryer helps the remaining fluid evaporate rapidly.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
New or old records, vinyl replay (and your stylus) will benefit from a clean. Just had a quick look at the kit and it seems fairly simply, though I use a vacuum cleaner myself. After applying, scrubbing and vacuuming the liquid I find a quick blast with an old hair dryer helps the remaining fluid evaporate rapidly.

Which is of course exactly what you should not do........ :shame:

Wet cleaners will take up the dirt into solution, you need to vacuum it off, not let or even encouragrage the liquid to evaporate on the record which will simply leave the dirt as a residue. It tends to collect in the bottom of the grooves too, which makes things even worse.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Tear Drop said:
New or old records, vinyl replay (and your stylus) will benefit from a clean. Just had a quick look at the kit and it seems fairly simply, though I use a vacuum cleaner myself. After applying, scrubbing and vacuuming the liquid I find a quick blast with an old hair dryer helps the remaining fluid evaporate rapidly.

Wet cleaners will take up the dirt into solution, you need to vacuum it off, not let or even encouragrage the liquid to evaporate on the record which will simply leave the dirt as a residue. It tends to collect in the bottom of the grooves too, which makes things even worse.

Hair dryer comes after the vaccuming - I've been doing this for over 15 years and never had a problem with a single LP (out of, I don't know, 6000+ discs). In fact I have often found myself cleaning, and improving the condition/sound of, 2nd hand records bought from dealers who claim to clean them on vacuum cleaners themselves, so wag that finger somewhere else please.

zilli

May 5, 2014
Visit site
1) My answer from my previous topic before things get mix up http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-did-i-do-wrong-on-my-first-hi-fi?page=15#comment-2959254

Hey guys, let's stay on the topic, right?

2) I'll not buy another cleaning set, so no need it to post here. Thanks. I have to use what I have now.

iMark

Indeed, it's a very good cleaner. I had one over 20 years ago but lost it in a move.

I think I need to get a new set to clean some of the second hand vinyl I bought on Kingsday here in NL. Some of the records are a bit noisy.

I have found a recipe online on how to make your own cleaning fluid for the Antistat when your original bottle runs out.

750ml distilled water (battery top-up water from Halfords will do fine) 250ml isopropyl alcohol (Boots sell it) One or two drops of an ionic surfactant, e.g. dishwasher rinse aid (don't use washing up liquid, as the dye will leave a residue on the record). Total cost per litre = about £3.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
davedotco said:
Tear Drop said:

Hair dryer comes after the vaccuming - I've been doing this for over 15 years and never had a problem with a single LP (out of, I don't know, 6000+ discs). In fact I have often found myself cleaning, and improving the condition/sound of, 2nd hand records bought from dealers who claim to clean them on vacuum cleaners themselves, so wag that finger somewhere else please.

If you evaporate any solution it will leave a residue of previously dissolved or suspended material, if that gets in the groove you are in real trouble.

It is bad practice in general terms and should not be encouraged. I can only assume that your vacuuming technique was pretty thorough so there was little left to dry off.

Others might not be so lucky, wet cleaning is a tricky business and best left to those who know what they are doing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts