How to tidy up cables?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have a run of a bunch of cables - visible section is about 4m - and they look messy. I think the bunch is about 3.5-4cm in diameter.

I have seen so far:
- plastic mesh sleeves (often used on display at Loewe shops) - but how do you thread so many cables through its entire length?...
- sort of spiral-cut or spinal-cord-like-cut plastic pipe (Maplin?) - solves the threading problem but does not look as tidy...

What products are availble to tidy this up? Any DIY solutions that you know?

would apreciate advice

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Skirting would have worked well, but as I am in a rented accommodation I need a 'loose' solution. Thanks for the thought, though - would have been really neat.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
You could get some plastic trunking / channeling to put the cables in. They can usually be obtained in various sizes and shapes including, square, rectangular and D shaped. As one side / top of the trunking can be peeled away, it is easy to lay the cables inside and close it up afterwards.

You could even paint the trunking to a suitable colour before putting in place to further camouflage it / make it less visible and depending on location and needs could semi-permanently anchor it in place using double sided tape.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:sort of spiral-cut or spinal-cord-like-cut plastic pipe (Maplin?) - solves the threading problem but does not look as tidy...

Am currently having my flat decorated in preparation to sell it and for cable management I'm just going to go with the above. Although it doesn't make the cables disappear, if you get the plastic in the same colour as your skirting board / wall, then it does mean they become very unobtrusive to the general "look" of the place without spending a fortune.

The biggest improvement I've made to my cable situation though is getting a single rack where all my equipment sits (including the AV receiver) so that just one HDMI cable and a few speaker cables have to come out of this into the TV / speakers. All other cables will be neatly cable tied behind the rack so they can't be seen.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
plenty of these available, but the ones I can find are max 20mm thick - not enough. I woudl also prefer a smoother look.

Cable-Tidy_large.jpg

These are out of question as it needs to stay loose and there are quite a lot of bends on the way.

CC50-blk.jpg

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Cable trunking, held in place with a few screws?

Then, when you vacate, remove the screws/trunking; add appropriate swipes of Polyfilla and dabs of paint to cover the 'oles - technically you will have 'made good' and honoured the terms of your lease.
emotion-5.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:plenty of these available, but the ones I can find are max 20mm think - not enough.

Yes, but then because of their coiled nature, they can be used to wrap around much larger cables than the 20mm thickness available.

AlmaataKZ:I woudl also prefer a smoother look.

Can't help there I'm afraid.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
And this is the mesh-type thing I was talking about. Imagine 4 metres of it - how do you pull, say, 8 cables through it?...

20080213145141-cable_sock_black.jpg

Bought something similar a couple of years ago from PCWorld but rather than being a tube it was a wrap around thing with velcro to secure - might be what you're looking for depending on the length of cabling that needs tidying.

Gave up on the whole concept of cable tidying myself after spending a day trying to achieve it last year - especially if, like me, you want to keep power and other cables separated.

TRENDING THREADS