How to spend £300?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been looking to upgrade my amp & speakers, but I'm on a limited budget. I think the best thing is to change one at a time and then in 6 months change the other. But which one first - speakers or amp?

My speakers are 12 years old, Eltax Monitor 5's (mid size with 2 x 6" bass cones and a treble) that have been really good, but I'm sure can be bettered. Because they are 45cm high, the atacama stands that they are on are quite low. If I put a "normal" sized bookshelf speaker on them, it looks quite daft! So, they might need replacing as well.

My old amp, the Marantz 4200 is still doing ok, but again, I'd like to move up to the next level. My taste in music is very varied - Classical to Jazz, Gypsy Kings to James Blunt (I know, I'm sad!)

I've considered the new MA BX2's, Arcaydis DM1's and an ex-demo pair of MA RX1's and for the amp, the PM6003 and the rotel RA4se

So, any help would be appreciated; what first? Sperakers or Amp?

Thanks

Martin

A

Anonymous

You can find some great deals on the old BR series which might be worth a look.

RX are better than the BR, and if you can get ex demo of the RX go with that.

Can you have a listen to any of them?

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi, you don't say what cables you are using, knowing this might make it easier for others to give advice. Including power cables

A

Anonymous

unison:Hi, you don't say what cables you are using, knowing this might make it easier for others to give advice. Including power cables

Really?

A

Anonymous

Hadn't really thought of mentioning the cables as it's not a particular hi-spec system. Main lead is bog standard, and the speakers are bi-wired with copper cambridge audio symphony bi-wire. Can't remember the interconnects at the moment!

MartSmith:

I've been looking to upgrade my amp & speakers, but I'm on a limited budget. I think the best thing is to change one at a time and then in 6 months change the other. But which one first - speakers or amp?

My speakers are 12 years old, Eltax Monitor 5's (mid size with 2 x 6" bass cones and a treble) that have been really good, but I'm sure can be bettered. Because they are 45cm high, the atacama stands that they are on are quite low. If I put a "normal" sized bookshelf speaker on them, it looks quite daft! So, they might need replacing as well.

My old amp, the Marantz 4200 is still doing ok, but again, I'd like to move up to the next level. My taste in music is very varied - Classical to Jazz, Gypsy Kings to James Blunt (I know, I'm sad!)

I've considered the new MA BX2's, Arcaydis DM1's and an ex-demo pair of MA RX1's and for the amp, the PM6003 and the rotel RA4se

So, any help would be appreciated; what first? Sperakers or Amp?

Thanks

Martin

Your amp and Eltax speakers were pretty good in their day. If your looking specifically for amp and speakers then this maybe the answer.

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/CAMB-540A-V2-BLK/Cambridge+Azur+540a+V2+Blk.html#

http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-10.1/whar-10.1-blk

A

Anonymous

Thanks for th replies so far. Just to clarify; I've about £300 to spent now, and another £300 in a few months. So is it amp first, or speakers?

TRENDING THREADS