How to network your iTunes library

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Not sure the advantage of a NAS drive with itunes> airport express or apple tv. I believe you have to have itunes running on the computer to stream and control to these devices, so why not just have a regular external drive attached to to the computer or perhaps I am missing something.

Is the advantage if controlling itunes from a laptop, which acceses the drive to send to the apple tv perhaps? If you are using a PC in another room then there is no advantage.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that as long as the NAS has an iTunes server (and many do these days), it should be able to stream content to Apple TV, etc.

The real point of the video, though, is setting up a system that allows you to use your iTunes in the same way you always have for ripping, downloading and syncing with iPods, as well as centralising your content on a device that will keep it safe (assuming you're sensible with your choice of NAS) and allow it to be accessed at any time from any other player on your network (think Sonos, LaCie, Boxee, or any number of new TVs and Blu-ray players).

Think that answers your question, but shout if not!

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Tom

That was really useful - I didn't know I could use the Logon Items to reconnect to my NAS...

However, I'm with MiddleMan - I don't think you'll be able to stream this to Apple TV. My WD NAS has an 'iTunes' server but, what I've gathered from reading Apple forums, it's not a 'full' iTunes server, thus you'll need your Mac on. The NAS certainly doesn't show up on my Apple TV... (least not automatically).

I'd be happy to be wrong on this so it would be great if you clever chaps could look into it!

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I also don't think that NAS with iTunes server can stream directly to ATV. iTunes must be running on your Mac.

It doesn't sound like it offers more than simply having your media on an external drive. So what is the point of this iTunes server thing? I still haven't figured this out. Does anyone know?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I had a NAS (Netgear STORA) but unfortunately for whatever reason it would not auto connect as network drive on logon as it required a password every time, then to add insult to injury it kept locking up so it went back, Have the PC switched on now with a 1TB attached.

But the Video is Quite useful for those who do not know how to move their iTunes Library.

I have found a great trick if you have multiple users on 1 PC but to share the same iTunes Library (Normally Each User has a different Library), set up the Library on the 1st user import music etc, then close down and open the 2nd users account (Have done this for my wife). Open up iTunes but hold down Shift, a popup will come up asking if you want to create a new library or associate an existing one, click associate then go to the library of the 1st user, for me this was . C:UsersPaulMusiciTunes iTunes Library.

Now whenever I rip anything or create a playlist, My Wife sees it in her account.

A

Anonymous

I've been messing about with using computers and networks to provide music for eight or nine years and have ended up (at the moment) with a solution that involves a NAS drive (maxtor and synology, I had to get the synology when seagate bought maxtor and suddenly had a blind spot about Apple) and an airport express feeding a Beresford D to A (bargain of the decade). It's largely been successful, but if you're going to do it there are a number of cheap programmes made by Rogue Amoeba that I wouldn't be without. Firstly Airfoil (mac and PC) that intercepts any audio stream on the computer from any programme, second Radioshift for internet Radio, thirdly Audio Hijack for recording any audio stream and lastly Fission for any quick bits of editing you might need. Sounds like a bit of ad for Rogue Amoeba, but they truly are indispensable.

A

Anonymous

HI All,

I'm a massive novice when it comes to computers but I am looking for a way for my girl friend who has thousands of itunes on her rapidly aging HP laptop to get her itunes off her laptop as i think it is crippling it but still be able to access them all the time as she needs to mix songs etc. I watched the video on the NAS device which seems like a great solution to this?

Would she then be able to delete the songs from her computer? excuse my ignorance.

If this is the solution what NAS device would you you recommend? i need about 2TB of storage, and ideally something i can then access with my Mac as well in order to store photos etc.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, once stored on a NAS drive they could be deleted from the computer, although I'd suggest making a further back-up onto, say, a USB hard drive, as you would with any computer, or having two NAS drives or one designed for parallel backups.

The files on the NAS can then be accessed as if they were on the computer, or if required copied down to the computer when your g/f wants to work with them.

You'll get lots of opinions about the best NAS drive to buy: I've been using WD drives for a while now, and am yet to have any problems with them.

A

Anonymous

Excellent, thanks Andrew. Any advice on brands? as i don't know a good NAS from a bad one.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Question for Tom- Curiously enough ,copying that way has not carried the album artwork across whereas a few files synchronised through i-tunes (ie changing file saving location offers a resync of everything in the old location to the new) does bring the artwork.( viewed through a Pure Sensia.)

Any thoughts!

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:

Question for Tom- Curiously enough ,copying that way has not carried the album artwork across whereas a few files synchronised through i-tunes (ie changing file saving location offers a resync of everything in the old location to the new) does bring the artwork.( viewed through a Pure Sensia.)

Any thoughts!

Anybody??

Also - I've done about 25 cd's so for without a problem but I've just done the Eagles Very Best of- and the playback is awful -distorted rattling rubbish. Are there issues copying certain cd's?. It plays fine but rips dreadfully. Any thoughts on that too.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Ravey Gravey Davy:

Any thoughts!

Anybody??

Also - I've done about 25 cd's so for without a problem but I've just done the Eagles Very Best of- and the playback is awful -distorted rattling rubbish. Are there issues copying certain cd's?. It plays fine but rips dreadfully. Any thoughts on that too.

Could be wrong here but I 'think' that when you rip a cd in itunes it doesnt embed the artwork in the id tag but stores it in another folder, unless you copy and paste the itunes folder as well everytime you will lose the link to the artwork.

I use DB poweramp which embeds the artwork file in the id tag, shows up on everything no problem. Have found id tags to be notoriously glitchy over the years.

Re: The Eagles CD, the obvious answer is a scratched disc or a hardware problem, have come across a couple of discs like this in the past - Could be it just doesnt like The Eagles!

A

Anonymous

So u move ur library to the NAS, but do u still need ITunes to be running on your mac? I was under the impression u do, in order to stream to other devices.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Doubt changing the bit rate will do anything. I would try another program as you say like WMP or you can get a free trial of DB poweramp or EAC is free anyway.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
TechMad:So u move ur library to the NAS, but do u still need ITunes to be running on your mac? I was under the impression u do, in order to stream to other devices.

Depends what you're streaming to. Airport Express, yes. Sonos, no.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:I will try that but the bugbear is WHY does it differ- it does not compute. Is the problem in the recorded CD itself.

Short answer is you'll probably never know, as I said before, I've had a couple of discs (out of a thousand maybe) that played ok but just would not rip properly - copy protection could be the answer?

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
TechMad:So u move ur library to the NAS, but do u still need ITunes to be running on your mac? I was under the impression u do, in order to stream to other devices.

Isnt that because the Sonos uses Samba and/or UpnP to access the server on the NAS directly?

But as for Apple products - you need the computer to be on - even if u want to stream say from NAS to AppleTV ? To me, that takes away the main benefit of using a NAS.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
TechMad:professorhat:

Isnt that because the Sonos uses Samba to access the NAS directly?

But as for Apple products - you need the computer to be on - even if u want to stream say from NAS to AppleTV

Indeed, as I said, it depends what you're streaming to. Apple TV again relies on AirPlay which requires iTunes. However, as Tom said in his initial post, the original video is talking about networking your existing iTunes library so that other devices can access it e.g. Sonos, PS3 etc. etc. It's not solely talking about streaming directly from iTunes otherwise there'd be no need to put it on the NAS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts