How to increase the sound volume of the MC cartridge?

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have recenlty "upgraded" my setup to the Rega Planar 2 turntable that comes with a decent Ortofon MC20 MKII cartidge. It's apparently a low output cartidge that produces a really low volume combined with my ROTEL RA-05 amplifier.

What would be the most efficient and cheapest way of getting the best out of my current hifi system?

Thanks!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
pixelandsoda said:
Hi,

I have recenlty "upgraded" my setup to the Rega Planar 2 turntable that comes with a decent Ortofon MC20 MKII cartidge. It's apparently a low output cartidge that produces a really low volume combined with my ROTEL RA-05 amplifier.

What would be the most efficient and cheapest way of getting the best out of my current hifi system?

Thanks!

Looks to me like your amp has a built in Phono but only for Moving Magnet (MM) and as your Cartridge is Moving Coil (MC) you'll need a Phono amp also known as Phono stage capable of handling an MC Cartridge. This will connect to any of the Line level inputs on the amp but not the Phono input.

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your comment. Would you recommend anything in particular that works with a moving coil cartidge? What do you think about Project Phono Box Mk2 would it be worth cosidering getting one of them?

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
pixelandsoda said:
Thanks for your comment. Would you recommend anything in particular that works with a moving coil cartidge? What do you think about Project Phono Box Mk2 would it be worth cosidering getting one of them?

I have that phono amp and it's giving some really good results with what I have. However, I have no frame of reference to call upon unlike others on here, so whether it's the best thing for the money or not - I defer to Steve and other members.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Project phono box will do the job over increasing the output of your MC, however for not a lot more you could look for a used Trichord Dino which would allow to alter the capacitance & impendance of your cart - the Project allows adjustment of impendance to!

Also the Dino allows you to upgrade to an external power supply later on if you want to.

pixelandsoda said:
What do you think about Musical Fidelity V90 LPS? Would it be a better choice than previously mentioned Pro-ject?

You could get away with using either, neither are brilliant and they don't offer anything in the way of changeable settings should you wish to upgrade your cartridge in the future. They are cheap, if this is what you're looking for, with not much between them. The suggestion of the Trichord Dino is a much better device.

I might also suggest the recently released Heed Questar at £300, but note this is for Moving Coil only.

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I think I have finally made my decision, but feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. I decited to go for a Cambridge Audio 651p preamp. Accoring to the specs it should be powerfull enough to work with my low output (0.2mV) Orofon MC20 cartidge.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts