How to improve NAS sound to receiver? Dragonfly?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, currently I have my Synology NAS connected to my Onkyo receiver via ethernet and the quality is not very good. Other sources including iPod, FM or internet radio provide better sound quality so, I am looking at possibilities to improve the sound from the NAS. Would this dragonfly be an option to significantly improve the sound quality? Doest it work with NAS? It is quite expensive and you loose the possibility to manage the music library througth the receiver standard functionality, therefore I really would like to make sure that it would be worth while.

Other possibilities would be to add a Denon piccollo or a Marantz 510 and connect it to the pre-outs of the receiver but, this would add a lot of complexity that I would prefer to avoid if possible.

techboy

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The synology doesn't have a dac. You are using the dac of the onkyo receiver. So the Ethernet transport is your bottleneck.

i doubt if there is much to it but to change your onkyo receiver.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Right, the Synology does not have a DAC, but it does have USB port. The idea would be to use the Dragonfly DAC instead of the Onkyo DAC. Would that improve the sound?

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
synology website lists dacs that are confirmed to work,others may as well but just havent been tested,i dont think there will be much difference in sound,always worth a try if you can try a dac without having to buy.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
his dudeness said:
synology website lists dacs that are confirmed to work,others may as well but just havent been tested,i dont think there will be much difference in sound,always worth a try if you can try a dac without having to buy.

Yes, a Synology NAS will feed digital files into a DAC via USB. I have a Synology DS213J connected to my USB DAC via a standard USB cable. The NAS outputs a bit-perfect signal, so assuming you have perfect rips in a lossless format, and your DAC is a decent asynchronous USB model, you have the ingredients for perfect digital audio.

His Dudeness is right that some asynch USB DACs may not work with a Synology NAS, but I've yet to hear of one that doesn't.

Of course, you'll need a cable with a 3.5mm jack one end and stereo RCA plugs the other.

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts