How to connect the headphone amp directly to the CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi friends

I have some AKG K701, a combo Marantz CD + PM6003 and a headphone amplifier Meier Corda Cantate. I have long observed that the signal is much purer if I connect theMeier directly to the CD player, but this only has an RCA output. Has anyone else noticed this improvement? How have you solved the problem? I have thought about using a switch, but I do not know if the signal degrades.

Thanks

PS. Sorry for my poor english

idc

I have used a phono splitter/adapter such as this....

31yC8xDkzKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You would plug that into the back of your CDP then have phonos going to both amps. Or you could just plug and unplug the phonos you have between the two amps, though that depends on how confident you are that the amps own sockets will take repeated use. Some phons are very tight and I worry about damage.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion. The truth is that I tried a splitter like photography, but this divided the power and I heard a sizzle. In my case, only worth sending the signal from the CD to one of the two amplifiers, but not both at once. I have said this is a fairly common problem.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I've tried it, but if I split the signal (although an amplifier is turned off), I hear a buzzing / crackling. I've thought of a quality selector, but maybe this will degrade the signal.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
For me it`s either one or the other. I have on occasion plugged directly into the headphone amp but I don`t like to keep tampering with the connections so I just tend to leave it plugged into the main amp. With a decent headphone amp and headphones you should still be getting a good sound. I`m not mad on the idea of a splitter.

A

Anonymous

The exact situation is this:

CD player > Integrated Amplifier > Meier Corda (via tape out) = GOOD SOUND
CD player > Meier Corda = THE BEST SOUND (headphones)

CD player > Integrated Amplifier = THE BEST SOUND (speakers)
CD player + divisor splitter simultaneous TO: Integrated amp + Meier = NOISE

My doubt:

CD player + quality selector switch (Elma?) TO Integrated + Meier = ?????

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you are getting a ground loop.

I would say it is down to the meier headphone amplifier. It would be interesting to see if it has an earth lift between signal ground and earth, you could check by using a multimeter to measure between one of the sleeves of the phono inputs to the ground pin of the mains input. zero ohms would indicate not, anywhere between 10-100 ohms would say there is.

You can use various ways to overcome ground loops but in fairness your switch box would probably be the easiest/best solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts