How to bi-wire with two mono amps? Help!!!!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Recidivist luddite needs help please!!! I'm currently home demo-ing two Roksan Mono amps and a pre amp. I've got my B&W's bi-wired, but seem to be making a hash of connecting them correctly. 1) Do the four QED airlocks from one speaker all go into the same mono amp? And then all four airlocks from the other speaker go into the other mono amp? or 2) The four hi-frequency connections from both speakers all go into one amp and all four low frequency go into the other amp? Confused, aurally disorientated and tired. It's all The Shins' fault. Playing their track Saint Simon, I can't locate the out of tune glockenspiel sound at the end of each verse. Whereas on playback through my computer it's there in all its glory. Surely I'm doing something wrong. I seem to have tried every configuration, but have just got myself in a state. Help. I need to buy or return by Thursday.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:

1) Do the four QED airlocks from one speaker all go into the same mono amp? And then all four airlocks from the other speaker go into the other mono amp?

Yes.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Charlie Jefferson:

1) Do the four QED airlocks from one speaker all go into the same mono amp? And then all four airlocks from the other speaker go into the other mono amp?

Yes.

Thanks.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Charlie Jefferson:

Yes.

This may sound daft, but does it matter what order they go into the mono amp, other than red to red, black to black?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, since the two sets of outputs from the power amp section are parallel, but for simplicity and ease of troubleshooting, it would make sense to connect each 'leg' of the speaker - ie HF, LF - to the same pair of outputs on the power amp.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:No, since the two sets of outputs from the power amp section are parallel, but for simplicity and ease of troubleshooting, it would make sense to connect each 'leg' of the speaker - ie HF, LF - to the same pair of outputs on the power amp.

Thanks for that, Andrew.

Part of the reason I'm double-checking all this is because I want to be sure I'm happy with the sound I'm demo-ing. (Got an extension until next week). As an aside, I notice several of the Sevenoaks stores are also offering roughly the same deal on these Caspian pre/power amps.

Overall impressions so far are favourable but on occasion certain familiar songs seem to have bits missing. As if the new sound picture has given me more of most things, but strangely taken away or submerged once familiar tiny details.

My wife actually said, whilst listening to one of her favourite Rufus Wainwright tracks, that the sound was too clinical, it disorientated her, and was "too hi-fi". I think I know what she means, but I'm mostly liking it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Check and double-check you're connected up the correct outputs on the preamp, and to the input, not the chain output, on the power amp.

Also check that all your connections are in phase both at power amp and speaker ends of the speaker cables - easy to make a mistake when hooking up something complex like this - and all should be fine.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Check and double-check you're connected up the correct outputs on the preamp, and to the input, not the chain output, on the power amp.

Also check that all your connections are in phase both at power amp and speaker ends of the speaker cables - easy to make a mistake when hooking up something complex like this - and all should be fine.

Thanks again, Andrew.

I had indeed used the chain input mistakenly. I didn't realise only one pair of RCA cables were needed between the pre and the two mono amps.

Now all is fine and,indeed,dandy.

Will I have done any damage using the chain outputs?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:No, not at all, but might account for the sound problems you were having

Thanks again, Andrew.

I had a very enjoyable listening session last night, and crucially, my wife was wowed by the Caspian/Rufus W. combination. It all works so well.

Precision, grace and power.

On another note, is it true that it's useful to play long playing time CDs to allow the laser to run to the end of it's "tracks"? I only ask because my brother-in-law has had problems with his new Caspian CD player sticking, and this is what our local dealer recommended as a possible remedy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts