how to allocate budget of £ 5k for Home Cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am really confused with the choice. Or maybe with this budget I shall go other route. Any help / advice much appreciated

1. KRP-500M or KRP-500A or PDP-LX5090

2. SC-LX71 or SC-LX81

3. BDP-51FC or BDP-LX71

4. B&W 684,686,HTM62,ASW610 or KEF iQ70,iQ10,iQc60 or Tannoys Signarure Revolution DC6

5. Sky HD or Freesat Humax PVR HD

6. genuine wall mount & branded hdmi & speaker cables or any other cheap stuff will do the job

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
From your line up I would go

500m
SC-LX81
BDP51
Tannoy Revolution Signature

The investment in the 81 makes a real difference to the sound and the Tannoy's work so well with the new Pioneer range. Save a bit of cash on the BDP by going for the 51 rather than the 71.

If you buy before the end of the month you will qualify for the Pioneer 5 year warranty on the TV.

Nick

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
From your line up I would go

500m
SC-LX81
BDP51
Tannoy Revolution Signature

The investment in the 81 makes a real difference to the sound and the Tannoy's work so well with the new Pioneer range. Save a bit of cash on the BDP by going for the 51 rather than the 71.

If you buy before the end of the month you will qualify for the Pioneer 5 year warranty on the TV.

Nick

Can you get that lot on £5k? That's more or less the same as what I'm looking at, oh hang on, 500m, I'm getting the 500a, don't know what the difference is, but the 500a is about 2.2k, the LX81 is about 1500 (I think) and the Tannoys are 2k+, stretching the budget a little isn't it?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It is stretching it a little bit but not too much esp. if you opt for a 5090. With the price rises we are all out of 500's so if the budget is strict a 5090 would perhaps be a better option. Right now as there is nearly £1k of difference.

Buying a complete system in one go will normally be of better benefit than purchasing each item from different retailers.

Nick

A

Anonymous

pioneer 50 90 screen

pioneer lx 71 amp dont believe the hype about the 81 ive heard both the 71 rocks

Pioneer PIOBDP51FD blu ray great pic awesome sound and good cd reproduction

B&W 685 front and back surround package ie the 685 set up but with four 685s

sky hd

clearer audio copper line mains x 4

van der hul hdmi

chord co siver screen speaker cable

atacama tv stand

partridge in a pear tree

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
nokz: pioneer lx 71 amp dont believe the hype about the 81 ive heard both the 71 rocks

Each to their own but in demonstration after demonstration our clients have opted for the 81 far more than the 71. The 71 is superb - there is no denying that - but with speakers of this calibre the 81 offers a clear step up in performance and I would advise to save on the bluray and opt for the superior amp.

Nick

A

Anonymous

well i was luck enough to hear both at pioneer HQ and all i could tell is the 81 is great if you want to run tv and screen but sonically even the guy said the difference is "hardly noticable"

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
nokz:pioneer 50 90 screen

pioneer lx 71 amp dont believe the hype about the 81 ive heard both the 71 rocks

Pioneer PIOBDP51FD blu ray great pic awesome sound and good cd reproduction

B&W 685 front and back surround package ie the 685 set up but with four 685s

sky hd

clearer audio copper line mains x 4

van der hul hdmi

chord co siver screen speaker cable

atacama tv stand

partridge in a pear tree

If budget is tight, definitely my first compromise would be 685s as rears - no need in my opinion. It's a nice to have if you can afford it, but the extra money could be spent better elsewhere.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre: Buying a complete system in one go will normally be of better benefit than purchasing each item from different retailers.

You mean I should be able to negotiate a decent discount if I get the lot together? I'm rubbish at haggling!

A

Anonymous

LX5090 + ISF calibration (~£250). This will give you a picture that surpasses even the best out-of-the-box settings on the 500A (or 500M) but for less money.

LX81 receiver

LX71 Blu Ray

B&W speakers

Buy them all from one place and you should be able to negotiate a healthy discount.

Job done!ÿ

A

Anonymous

hi, you should go for the krp500a you can pick it up for £2200 on the net and then get the lx sc81, for £1320 and the bdp lx91 for £1495 search on the net cause i have seen these prices floating around and finally go for the B&W 685 theatre system, you can get it for as little as £1180, again you got to search on the net. the best setup, you wont need to upgrade or anything for donkeys and it will blow the sock of everything, oh and yeah please go for qed or even better van hul flat cable,ÿ

i know its well over the budget but trust me go sell something get the xtra cash and go buy the above, you wont regret it i promise you mate

ask pioneer 7 he will agree

enjoy mateÿÿ

A

Anonymous

Mmmmmmm. I posted something very similar a few days ago, and now you have me thinking again.

I had pretty much decided on the following

PDP LX 5090 & stand - £1800

LX71/81 Combo - £1750

Sky HD - £50

3 HDMI cables - £250

I also need a AV stand for the telly. I really wanted the atacama but not sure if I can get one to suit a 50" telly. Anyway about £400.

I really want the Dali Ikon speakers but just cant afford the extra £2k+

Let me know what you go for & what you think.

A

Anonymous

barnsleydave:
Mmmmmmm. I posted something very similar a few days ago, and now you have me thinking again.

I had pretty much decided on the following

PDP LX 5090 & stand - £1800

LX71/81 Combo - £1750

Sky HD - £50

3 HDMI cables - £250

I also need a AV stand for the telly.ÿ I really wanted the atacama but not sure if I can get one to suit a 50" telly.ÿ Anyway about £400.

I really want the Dali Ikon speakers but just cant afford the extra £2k+

Let me know what you go for & what you think.

ÿ

I was with you right up until you dropped £250 on three HDMI cables. Please try one of these...

http://ukhdmi.com/

I have three of their Ikuna cables. I was asÿskepticalÿas the next guy. They are at least as good as QED's HDMI-P.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnHolmes:Forget the B&W speakers, go for some M&Ks unbeatable performance for movies!
We're with JH on this one - there are no hi-fi speakers that can compare to the Miller & Kreisel's when it comes to movies. Hi-fi speakers are designed for just that - hi-fi. They're way too polite for the demands of a movie soundtrack. Other than those who want style, the majority who have compared M&K with other hi-fi speaker packages have chosen the M&K - the detail level and presentation is incomparable.

A

Anonymous

There's no need to buy the LX-71 BluRay player when the 51 is just as good with the amp you're pairing it with. So just get the 51.

I have the Dali Ikon 6 5.1 package. Paid £1800. Worth every penny. M&Ks are amazing too.

You should haggle a bit. Especially if you're buying from one retailer. Otherwise just get online, you'll find some great prices.

Good luck!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:JohnHolmes:Forget the B&W speakers, go for some M&Ks unbeatable performance for movies!

We're with JH on this one - there are no hi-fi speakers that can compare to the Miller & Kreisel's when it comes to movies. Hi-fi speakers are designed for just that - hi-fi. They're way too polite for the demands of a movie soundtrack. Other than those who want style, the majority who have compared M&K with other hi-fi speaker packages have chosen the M&K - the detail level and presentation is incomparable.

What if you want hi-fi and movies though?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

TheHomeCinemaCentre: Buying a complete system in one go will normally be of better benefit than purchasing each item from different retailers.

You mean I should be able to negotiate a decent discount if I get the lot together? I'm rubbish at haggling!

I would think a package price would be offered at this level plus there are the benefits of having one point of contact.

A

Anonymous

Can I ask which Miller & Kreisel speaker package would be the one that would challenge the dali Ikon 6.5.1 (circa £2200). Apologies i thought i knew a little bit about home cinema kit but i have never heard of M&K.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Ihc there is no hifi and movies you either have hifi or movies if you go for hifi movies will be compromised if you go for movies hifi will be compromised. So you have to chose which one you prefer or which one you want most. I know this is exactly what i have been looking into when looking for a an up grade to my K7 M&K's. Don't get me wrong both can be acceptable but both is a compromise. If you want the best of both separate systems are the way to go. If want want good with both you need to chose which one is the dominate factor at the expense of the other and boy is it head doing. A song come to mind "you spin me right round ÿbaby, right round like a record playing"( something like that).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
v1c:Ihc there is no hifi and movies you either have hifi or movies if you go for hifi movies will be compromised if you go for movies hifi will be compromised. So you have to chose which one you prefer or which one you want most.

Hmm, I wouldn't agree with that personally. If you want very high end systems, then maybe you'd be right, but for the budgets you're looking at here, you can definitely get a decent hi-fi and home cinema system.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I didn't say you can't get a decent hi fi and home cinema system you can but it is still a compromise on one or the other.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough, that was how I interpreted it, but if I got your meaning wrong, cheerfully withdrawn
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:the_lhc:TheHomeCinemaCentre: Buying a complete system in one go will normally be of better benefit than purchasing each item from different retailers.

I would think a package price would be offered at this level plus there are the benefits of having one point of contact.

I see what you're saying, I just always feel like a complete lowlife asking for money off, I'm a salesman's dream! And I'm still not convinced I could get the Pioneer LX71 blu-ray and LX-81 amp for £1750 as barnsleydave said earlier though.

I'm also not prepared to wait for stock to come in, so wherever I do get it from MUST have at least the amps in stock before I put any money down. Too many retailers going bust after people have paid their money for me to pay up and then sit there waiting for weeks (I know, I know, use a credit card, but I've just spent 17 years paying them off, so I'd rather not if I can help it...).

grah! irritated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts