How Often Do You Watch Films?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm just curious - of those on this forum that enjoy watching films (home or cinema), how many do you watch every week? Is it a regular thing? A solitary thing? A family thing? Would you like to watch more?

On Letterboxd, I've logged 247 films for the first 6 months of this year (although I have missed a few), which averages out at around 10 films per week.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It's quite irregular for me sometimes i can go weeks without watching a film but in the last four days i have seen three films, i usually watch them on my own with a few beers and i can access the pause button for toilet breaks. *smile*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I watch a film when I can - I buy/exchange films regularly - I'll also watch a film several times in whole and in parts to make 'sure'

Happy to rewatch with family

But I have family some enjoy soaps I myself currently try to keep up with Hannibal and Penny Dreadful.

As a youth I used to watch a film a week at the pictures - £1 Monday mornings caught up with alot of the movies I missed late 70's , early 80's.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Every now and then but mostly...

I prefer a TV series. (Luther, West Wing, The Wire, The Sopranos, Hidden, Page Eight, Sherlock, Broadchurch, House of Cards original, House of Cards USA, BBC's State of Play, Exile, The Worriker Trilogy, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Smiley's People, House etc.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Almost never these days, I still BUY them, the to-watch list is getting longer I just don't get to watch them.

Daft thing is I had two months off work since the end of March and I didn't even watch them then, preferring to spend the free time locked in a dark room whacking my balls around wherever possible.*

*playing snooker.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't get as much time as I'd like to watch films, but I'm making a bit of an effort at the moment to watch as man as I can. I think between what I have recorded on my Sky box and DVDs/Blu Rays I own, I still have 60 or more to watch.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not very often David to be honest. I don't find films as enthralling as music, but I'm visually impaired so may be that's a contributory reason? I can listen to music for hours and disappear into it but with films or anything else on the TV I'm really getting bored after an hour.

I'll probably watch more films at the cinema this year than I have in recent history: the kids want to go watch Minions and well it'd be rude not too, and yes I know I'm a slave to the industry but I'm just going to HAVE to watch Star Wars 7 and the next James Bond.

D

Deleted member 2457

I mainly watch music Blu-Rays and put on 2 or three a night just watching the songs I want played. I do the same with movies too.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Since I retired nearly 2 years ago I've been to the cinema about 40 times, seen some dross a lot of average a few good and nothing brilliant. It's nice to go an lunch time when all the kids are at school and you can watch a film without some ********* on their phone etc. One week I was the only one in.

I've also watched a few on DVD that I missed at the flicks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies (I was hoping BigBoss might answer too seeing as he has a full Atmos system :) )

I sort of suspected as much, but wanted a little cross section of answers to see if my thoughts were correct. Most people don't watch movies very often, for whatever reason, even if they have a good AV system. Maybe this is why AV is on a downturn? I always thought that AV would virtually obliterate hi-fi systems when they gained popularity in the late 90s, mainly because a film can be easily enjoyed by the whole family (BBFC certification relevant of course!), whereas music is more of a solitary thing. Yes, music can be enjoyed by the whole family, but I think you're more likely to find a radio being used in this situation, rather than the family listening to a CD or a record.

On the subject of lone or family events, both music and movies are enjoyed by a number of people together when visiting the cinema or going to a live gig, but it's slightly odd that only movies tend to be enjoyed by a group at home, and music is seen as a private thing. Maybe this is one reason why headphones have gained popularity.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Yes, music can be enjoyed by the whole family, but I think you're more likely to find a radio being used in this situation ...

radio-2_1975070b.jpg

"Altogether now ... I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter ... "

David@FrankHarvey said:
Thanks for your replies (I was hoping BigBoss might answer too seeing as he has a full Atmos system :) )

:)

When I'm on a roll, I watch a film everyday. Nowadays It's become a weekend affair, the main reason being my wife drifting off to sleep early while putting my little boy to bed. *scratch_one-s_head*

Previously (when we had no parental responsibility), we had a Cineworld unlimited card, and used to watch back to back films on weekends (2 films at a time), on top of watching films on Sky movies. Now, we don't have Sky movies subscription, so watch films on blu ray, TV and Amazon Prime.

Watched Big Hero 6 last week, Monsters University on Friday and G.I Joe: Retaliation yesterday. I've ordered Fury, American Sniper and Kingsman: The Secret Service from Amazon which should be delivered today. Hopefully will get to wach one of them tonight.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Because I'd planned to watch horror films all month, it makes it a little tricky to slot in something like Mad Max. Having said that, I'll be taking a day off from horrors next Thursday for the Back To The Future trilogy (film fans will know why) - I'll watch it then, otherwise it'll be next month.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts