How often do you get to appreciate your set up?

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A question thats be bugging me for a bit. Sounds like there are some great systems owned by people around here but do you get to really test your system, can you turn it up loud without the neighbors complaining, does your partner mind? I appreciate that you don,t have to always have it up loud to get the best out of it but me personally I like to hear my music loud when ever possible,(within reason) was wondering what other peoples views are here.

A

Anonymous

I live in a stone-built semi with the hifi against the adjoining wall. I don't seem to have any problems with the neighbours nor my gf and have it up fairly loud sometimes. The sub kicks out a fair whack of low frequencies but still no problems. Thus, I get to fully appreciate my system every day of the week
emotion-1.gif

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
It's the reason I'm thinking of putting together the following:

Apple MacBook Pro > MF X-CAN V8P > AKG K702 / Quad 11L Active

So when the neighbours are out, the Quads can come alive!

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that something to do with having your speakers set up in a certain way. How does it work. Sorry for ignorance.ÿ

A

Anonymous

dx052:Is that something to do with having your speakers set up in a certain way. How does it work. Sorry for ignorance.
Near field is really just about having small monitor speakers closer together with the listening position quite close. My Spendors are considered near-field monitors and if you set it up as 2.5m apart sitting 2.5m away it still sounds big and loud.

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, thats pretty much what I have now funny enough & it does sound great but maybe I should move them away from the adjoining walls to my neighbors, that could help.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Near field is really just about having small monitor speakers closer together with the listening position quite close. My Spendors are considered near-field monitors and if you set it up as 2.5m apart sitting 2.5m away it still sounds big and loud.

Agree. However it also depends on the speakers. For example the entire Harbeth range, from shoebox sized P3ESR to the huge M40.1, can be used comfortably in the near field.

Sitting closer also means the speakers are driving less air between you and the drivers, and are not bouncing waves off as many surfaces. So you can enjoy the same level of excitement at lower listening levels.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i get to listen to mine pretty much every day, although i'd turn it up more if we had a detached house. the neighbours have never complained, but i don't like to inflict it on them, luckily it sounds great at civilised volumes. at full chat you could probably hear mine in the next street! near field listening position here also, speakers are 2.5 metres apart with me 3 metres away with toe-in set for soundstage.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Between my listening room and the sitting room are three doors one of which is double glazed, the speakers are spiked andon slate slabs so none of the bass gets transmitted through the floor. I can have it really quite loud and you cant hear it anywhere else apart from the listening room.

Dont tend to have it too loud at night (most of the time actually) as the whole process of listening to music for me is enjoyment, detail and being able to relax with a nice glass of red.......

So I get to enjoy my system daily. :)

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Very lucky to live in the country with the nearest neighbors several hundred metres away so noise levels are not a problem.I can also play the system quite loud in one room with my wife in another watching tv without any complaints unless I crank it just a bit too much!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
everyday before the gf gets home as the first thing she does is turn my music down - for movies she is happy loud most of the time and my neighbours are either very tolerent or def! Actually the girl next door likes to play her music loud so we just ignore each other!

think sometimes ppl just want something to moan about, i'm lucky have really good neighbours!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I live in a semi detached house and have my kit upstairs in what should be a bedroom. The neighbours have never complained, infact when I first setup my kit in this house I stuck it on quite loud and then went round to ask them if they could hear it. Luckily the answer was no! Right this minute I am upstairs listening whilst my girlf is downstairs watching flippin "Americas Next to Model". So due to the setup being in a different room, me having decent neighbours, not turning it up to loud and working at home, I get to enjoy my setup without interruption pretty much every day!

A

Anonymous

I'm not concerned about my neighbours and do my own thing ... play my music loud when I want to (obviously within reason i.e. not late at night or early in the morning)

neighbours are all old folk and one neighbour even phones the environmental police everytime I have a BBQ and she reports me for 'smoke pollution'

However, my wife gets a bit 'distressed' when I play the music too loud

T

the record spot

Detached house with gardens front and back, road to the right and next door way to the left. I've been known to turn the amp up from time to time...!

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

My neighbours wouldn't have a problem even at volumes much louder than I enjoy.

Are your neighbours a load of deaf cows chewing the cud in an adjacent field?

A

Anonymous

Every day. When watching a movie, or a particularly good show on TV I tend to turn it up a bit. My mum complains, my dad and I tell her to stop whining (or if she nags to much, just to shut up) and we keep watching at that volume. Neighbours have never complained; not that I'd care if they did because 1. I don't like them & 2. the one on the left is a stone mason and works in his backyard with his sawing equipment all the time and the one on the right has a mental dog that barks incesently.
emotion-4.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm lucky. The Wife is into about 99% of the stuff I like, so only tend to get complaints when listening to Dream Theater ("Pretentious twaddle") or Neurosis ("Depressing noise").

I live in a semi with everything set up on the wall farthest from next door. I also have a large storage unit with CDs, DVDs, books and stuff almost completely covering the adjoining wall. I have never had any complaints from next door (And they still say "Hello" and give us a Christmas card, so I guess it's not too much of an issue).

I have told The Wife that I'm gonna sacrifice a couple of inches on the adjoining wall with soundproofing when we decorate the room (probably in 2011). She seems happy with that as we both like to send the volume skyward when watching movies.

I tend to find that as TV content gets ever worse (This Christmas being a particular nadir) the stereo gets used more and more. That or we'll stick a film on. I'm glad that we can do both with such good results (Not like the old days when I had good stereo and a HCIAB for movies).

A

Anonymous

Almost every day. I live in a semi, and the speakers are situated on the wall furthest away from the neighbouring wall. Also the house was built in the mid- fifties, so the dividing walls are double thickness brick construction which helps a lot. I do consider the neighbours and do ask from time to time if they hear anything (at times prompted with - "please be honest") but they always so no they don't. I have very good reasons for this, as I was on the recieving end "of music played loudly" from a next door neighbour at a previous house I lived in, of a more modern construction I'd hasten to add. However, I have always adopted the "live and let live" atitude, I don't mind if someone wants a loud party/play their music loud/barbeque etc. There are some obvious provisios to this. Not too late at night, every night, especially weekday nights and not all / everyweek-end.

Nad 370, Nad 270, Mission M35's, Sony cdp 300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts