How much would you pay for Spotify?

idc

I would pay £186 a year. If I was actually paying say £10 per album on the stuff I now listen to regularly, I would have given Amazon at least £500 for the equivalent. Then there is all the stuff I listen to every so often, then there is the stuff i have still yet to discover....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm afraid i wouldnt. as ive said before its more a try before you buy thing for me. im just not really on board with the whole streaming thing as my main methid of consumption.

idc

Spotify, Napster, Sky Songs, Grooveshark, We7 and Pandora are the sites I know of. I would imagine Amazon and maybe itunes will join the fun eventually. Just as with most things, companies will buy each other out and we will end up with only a couple.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The idea of paying for listening does not fit inside my head. For some reason I can only think of buying music and then listening for free.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
So Spotify get no revenue from the record companies?

For me too it is a 'try before you buy' thing, and I have bought a lot of music directly off the back of first listening to it on Spotify after a recommendation here or elsewhere. If I hadn't sampled it first on Spotify I probably wouldn't have subsequently bought it.

Incidentally, the ads on the free service don't bother me, and as a 'try before you buy' service neither does the reduced bitrate quality.

All that said, it would be sad to see it fail - a wonderfully innovative company imho.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
margetti:Incidentally, the ads on the free service don't bother me

Me either. Its like radio without the wittering berk.

You haven't heard the George Lamb Starbucks advert then?

idc

One million to ten million users in less than two years is massive growth, particularly when you think of the countries it is limited to. Daniel Ek stated right back at the start Spotify was not expected to make money for 3 to 4 years.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:al7478:

margetti:Incidentally, the ads on the free service don't bother me

Me either. Its like radio without the wittering berk.

You haven't heard the George Lamb Starbucks advert then?

Ah, there is that of course
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't have a bad internet connection, but until Spotify stops cutting out and being generally unreliable I wouldn't pay anything.

I'm sure it's their service rather than my connection as I never have problems with streaming radio.

A

Anonymous

I would still pay if they doubled the price for premium but dont tell them that ;)

I use both spotify and albums for listening. I could not do without either at this point.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fast eddie:I don't have a bad internet connection, but until Spotify stops cutting out and being generally unreliable I wouldn't pay anything.

I'm sure it's their service rather than my connection as I never have problems with streaming radio.

I've never known it cut out once?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:fast eddie:I don't have a bad internet connection, but until Spotify stops cutting out and being generally unreliable I wouldn't pay anything.

I've never known it cut out once?It seems very variable here, and often even if the song plays fine its an age to wait between them (never used to be this long - about 20-30 seconds).

Regardless of if its spotify or our laptops or the connection something is too unreliable to warrant paying anything for the service.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
No probs here on service , but I'm in the use it as means to check if something is worth buying camp. The ads are not an issue they are less than you get on commercial radio. Not been using the computer as main source for that long but I do not want to see us go down the route of you don't "own" the music it's just rented.

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Only use the freebie service on my laptop at the moment when needing a bit of inspiration at work...

No cut outs to report, in fact I am extremely impressed so far during about 3 months of use. May even be tempted to upgrade so that I can store offline...

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Having been a freebie user since it started, Ive finally taken the plunge for the premium service.

I think its the best music service anywhere. Why download (bought or otherwise) when you can listen to pretty much what you want when you want to, for just £10 per month? All I need now, is a way of streaming from my iPhone to my HiFi, then I believe Ive got the best remote control EVER.

I'm seriously considering swapping my Apple TV Classic for one of the new ones, just so I can use the Airplay function. Ive considered getting a Bluetooth receiver, but I think I will be limited with the range.

idc

Mine cuts out all the time in the evenings, which is one reason why I pay for premium as i download what I want to listen to during the day. The cause is a lack of bandwidth in the local network. Throttling is introduced to cut back heavy users, of which streaming music, I must be one.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not the cost it's the usability. On Sonos, Napster is so much easier to use. However, what would I pay for a streaming service? £15 tops

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I pay about £15 a month for Napster & Rhapsody and would happily pay twice that if not more. I buy a lot of music and for the amount of content I stream think I am getting very good value for money at the current rates. The streaming services are great as long as they have the content, previewing obscure albums before you buy is in-valuable to me.

TRENDING THREADS