How much variation in finish (speakers) is acceptable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For a while now I've been swooning over Monitor Audio's Silver RS range of speakers and of course I've seen your reviews of these and other MA speakers. I visited our local dealer yesterday to order a pair of RS6's and an RSLCR centre channel. Prior to the visit I'd struggled with which timber finish to go for, walnut or rosenut? Turns out MA's Aussie distributors have made the decision for me by only importing black, walnut and cherry. So, walnut it is.
The problem is that I wasnt sure what I was looking at in the store and prior to checking thought I was indeed looking at the Rosenut. The RSLCR was clearly walnut, dark, chocolately colour, strong grain etc etc. The RS8's they had in store however - also supposedly walnut were MUCH redder, with a more linear grain, less whorls and a much smoother finish.
I have to take my hat off to Sunnybank HiFi as although it was clear that there was a major variation between these speakers, they checked their order, checked what finishes were available on system from the distributor and eventually trawled out the boxes, confirming that at least all of the speakers were according to what they ordered in and what was labelled on the box, walnut.
They also had a pair of RS1's also supposedly in Walnut which were close but not idential to the RS8's and again WAY different to the RSLCR.
Now I understand that these speakers are a timber veneer and therefore some variation in colour and finish is to be expected though i have to point out that all of the full packages advertised by MA and featured in your magazine all appear to match perfectly.
My questions are thus then, have you encountered these kinds of wide variations in finish in the packages of speakers provided for review and if so, how much of a varitaion is acceptable? And to be clear, I'm not singling MA out here as the RS6's are awesome and I have ordered them regardless but as a general guide for all speakers made with timber veneer etc, what should we expect or what is reasonable? And what experiences have others had?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
All manufacturers making speakers with natural wood veneer finishes are likely to buy a batch of veneer to make their anticipated production runs and many go so far as to match the grain pattern in the two speakers in a pair.

But as you say there are variations in veneer from batch to batch, and indeed the speakers do fade a little if they're used in sunlit rooms over a period of time.

And good though our photography is, by the time the picture has gone through the process that gets it on the printed page, any such variations in shade would tend to be masked.

That said, we haven't encountered any huge matching variations from any manufacturers for a good while even though - and here we're not talking about Monitor Audio specifically - it's quite possible some speakers in a range may be made in a different factory to others. With globalised production, that kind of thing tends to happen...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. I figured that would be the case though i'll be checking on delivery. I expect some variation though the difference between the centre and main pair was startling. I'm leaning in the different production facility explanation. Will report back on the delivery result.

A

Anonymous

Thats ok Andrew, I knew you were only summising. To update, I emailed the Aussie distributors today with my concerns and they've offered to open the cartons and check the match before shipping them out - can't ask for more than that can you. Great service which is sorely lacking elsewhere these days. As a contrast I am still awaiting a reply to two emails to QED's Aussie distributors and QED in the UK - a request for local dealers no less???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Damien Buckley"]I emailed the Aussie distributors today with my concerns and they've offered to open the cartons and check the match before shipping them out - can't ask for more than that can you.[/quote]

Sounds good to me.

A

Anonymous

My MA GR20s came as a pair (boxes were marked "A" and "B") and have the same color (cherry) and grain.
The matching center-speaker (GR-LCR) - which I purchased a couple of months later through the internet - looked very different when it came out of the box.
However, two months have now passed and the color is starting to match the stereo pair closer and closer.

As it turns out, the cherry veneer seems to darken a fair bit when taken out of the box. All speakers started of a lot lighter then other cherry wood furnishings in my livingroom. The stereo pair now matches that hue and the center speaker seems to darken slowly as well.
There remains a bit of a difference between the grain, but is partially caused by the horizontal ori‰ntation of the center.

I suppose these kind of effects come with real wood veneer and might apply to other models and brands.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GSX-R"]My MA GR20s came as a pair (boxes were marked "A" and "B") and have the same color (cherry) and grain.
The matching center-speaker (GR-LCR) - which I purchased a couple of months later through the internet - looked very different when it came out of the box.
However, two months have now passed and the color is starting to match the stereo pair closer and closer.

As it turns out, the cherry veneer seems to darken a fair bit when taken out of the box. All speakers started of a lot lighter then other cherry wood furnishings in my livingroom. The stereo pair now matches that hue and the center speaker seems to darken slowly as well.
There remains a bit of a difference between the grain, but is partially caused by the horizontal ori‰ntation of the center.

I suppose these kind of effects come with real wood veneer and might apply to other models and brands.
[/quote]

Good to know - I assumed there would be differences and am expecting colouration over time. The main issue I had is that the dealer told me they were all purchased at the same time and they were all in the same listening room with no windows so... We'll see how they turn up - as long as the stereo pair match and the centre isnt a country mile away I'll be happy as that will be sitting on my tv anyways and hence not too noticeable as the stereo pair.

I really liked the look of the Rosenut in the brochure but the Aussie distributors only import Walnut, Cherry and Black. The walnut are a nice colour and finish though.

A

Anonymous

Hi Damien,

I just downloaded the manual of the Silver RS series on the uk website of MA, and there was a paragraph on coulour change in the manual. It stated that during the life of the speaker the colour can change a couple of shades, ESPECIALLY the Cherry veneer. The reddish wood you described earlier really makes me wonder wether it wasn't rosewood or cherry you saw at the shop, instead of walnut.

i'm going for the walnut veneer as well btw.

Hope this helps, let us know how they are once you get 'em!

A

Anonymous

Glad to report back that my speakers turned up yesterday and all three are a perfect match. The walnut is a lovely colour and they're beautifully finished - I can see why what hifi rates MA so highly. Beautiful sounds right out of the box too.

The Aussie disitrbutor confirmed prior that they only import walnut, cherry and black into Aus but having seen these, I'm pretty sure they've had a factory mix up and the RS8's the dealer had are in fact Rosenut. Could be wrong but I doubt it as the RSLCR they had on display is pretty much the same as all three of mine and the RS8's were WAY different - different batch or line perhaps?

Anyway, the delivered items are great and incase I've any fellow Aussie's here, I can't recommend Sunnybank HiFi enough and the Aussie distributor for MA - M&G Hoskins. They offered to check the speakers for me prior to sending out to the store and SBHF also checked them instore for me too. Great service.

Just got to decide on some cables now - see other post.

A

Anonymous

Congrats!
What electronics are you going to partner them with? And will you also be using rears or effect speakers?

Just saw your other post. A Denon AVR4306...
How about those other channels?

And should we tell MA to start upgrading the Silver RS series next week?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GSX-R"]Congrats!

What electronics are you going to partner them with? And will you also be using rears or effect speakers?

Just saw your other post. A Denon AVR4306...

[/quote]

Cheers, - yep the 4306 is the centrepiece. I've got a Grundig Lenaro 96cm tv with integrated digital and dvd player - I'm using the coax digital out so at this stage sound & picture is all good. I have the remnants of a 10yr old Denon SCM7 mini system making up the remainder - I'm using the 3 disc changer connected to the amp using the optical digital out plus my iPod for when I can't be bothered to change discs ; )
I have a Velodyne CHT-R12 providing grunt and have to say even though I'm just getting started, am VERY happy with this system so far.
[quote user="GSX-R"]How about those other channels?[/quote]
The SCM7 speakers which were the front channel have now gone to the back and I'd say for now are more than adequate and I won't be using the surround back as I'd rather employ those amps to bi-amp the RS6's - you probably picked it up but although I love watching movies, my priority is music.
Planned upgrade schedule: - Speaker cables, good CD player, decent rack to sit all on.
[quote user="GSX-R"]And should we tell MA to start upgrading the Silver RS series next week?
[/quote]Now I've bought them I'm pretty sure they're already on it, lol. Its kinda like putting washing on the line - it almost guarantees rain.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Damien Buckley"]... Now I've bought them I'm pretty sure they're already on it, lol. Its kinda like putting washing on the line - it almost guarantees rain.[/quote]

Way ahead off you: I live in the Netherlands. Only thinking about putting the washing outside guarantees rain... ;-)

With a Denon AVR3406 one could easely be tricked in thinking surround would be your priority... very nice piece of kit though!
For music I've got a Roksan Kandy set with the MA GR20s. For the future I'm still considering several surround paths, for now I make do with my computer and a pile of old equipment.

A

Anonymous

I like both and the reason I've gone for Denon is that they've always given me the performance with music I'm looking for as well as being able to REALLY mix it when i pop in a movie - we watched Ghost Rider last night - first movie with the new speakers and it was awesome.
I suppose I could have looked at Arcam etc but I have to admit to a bit of a soft spot for Denon - my first ever decent piece of HiFi was a Denon AVC3020 - one of the first really kick-ass AV amps and it never let me down wth either music or movies so I stick with what I know - plus all Denon kit is built like its ready for war too. Can't wait to get some cables and hook up the speakers bi-amped which will for sure improve things with music.
I've got an Xbox 360 hooked up using the optical out too and thats just taken on a whole new level of hilarity - just plugged into the tv previously. I can now fully recreate my own warzone ; )

TRENDING THREADS