HOW MUCH POWER

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK I WAS READING A ARTICLE ON A OTHER HI-FI MAG AN IT WAS CONCERNING ABOUT THE AMMOUNT OF POWER NEEDED TO "GENERATE REALISTIC VOLUME LEVELS IN YOUR LISTENING ROOM WITHOUT YOUR AMP CLIPPING WHEN HANDLING MUSICAL PEAKS" NOW I THINK IT MAKES FOR A INTRESTING TOPIC AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE AS MANY POINTS OF VIEW AS POSSIBLE BOTH PROFESSIONAL AND NON POROFESSIONAL

A

Anonymous

It really depends on how efficient you speakers are. Different efficiency speakers will produce different sound pressures (volume) for different amounts of power. For instance, horn loaded speakers will probably be louder when given the same amount of power as conventional speaker boxes. You can actually find this efficiency, or "sensitivity" in the speaker specifications - mine are 86dB for 1W at 1m, others will vary.

A

Anonymous

ok that i knew but in this case the article was comsidering astandard speakers go on lads get typing

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
sorry don't quite get what your saying,a standard to what,how to generate more power without the amps clipping or speakers able to cope with high sound pressure level's without distorting.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
In my world, the more watts - the better. I know someone else will say the qaulity watts that count!!! The fact is when you have a very powerful amp it will give you a freedom to choose whatever speakers you fancy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]
sorry don't quite get what your saying,a standard to what,how to generate more power without the amps clipping or speakers able to cope with high sound pressure level's without distorting.
[/quote]

i mean how much power is needed to get a sound that is almost real life as if u where there but with out the amp cliping (the amp clips when it runs out of watts but the music demands more at the same time ) so how much power u need so to never run out of power

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You see what a mess you get in when you go reading other hi-fi magazines?

How much power would you need to never run out of power? Hmmm... a couple of kilowatts per channel should be a pretty safe bet.

And this isn't a facetious answer...

A

Anonymous

i think that u need at least 200w per chanel but 300w would be better this is long but bare with me people u need to go around the world in a car at average speed of 150 mph so u can chose ( A )a car that does 150mph max or ( B )a car that can easily get to 150mph and go well over that when needed A would over heat going at max speed of 150mph and would not perform or be able to give a little extra if asked B would not over heat and would have more power should it need so now A is your 20w amp that will strugle to get to decent listening volume and B is your 300w power amp that never lets u down do i make sense now boys?

A

Anonymous

keep it a secret ( dont tell andrew ) i was thinking of getting two nad c 272 power amps they kick 150w per chanel in 8 oms i add a audition and was impressed the 272 was connected to a nad pre amp and thy sounded so so good and the authority was on a biblical scale

A

Anonymous

now lets just dream bout 4 nad c272 in mono kicking out 300w each ........................................thats 1200w .................... i dont think i need that much,after all .......u'r only suposed to blow the bloody doors off!

A

Anonymous

8000p is always been on the top of my list but i never have been able to audition i dont want second hand dough, can u advise on some vere to audition it here in london ( central)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
2-4 CAMDEN HIGH STREET, tel 020 7388 1300....... they should have some for you to demo. Have you design on the preamp?? I can't remember has you amp got a pre-out?

A

Anonymous

been there mate! no audition and not very help ful staff only a mono amp on display and he looked down on me... ho! and i had to wait 20 min to get to talk to the guy cos he was busy and he vas the only shop assistent in the house

A

Anonymous

mi amp a 640 v2 cambridge audio has a pre out but ill get a pre amp for sure i want this one http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2389 and yeha i know i would work very well with the power amp u sugested

A

Anonymous

ta very much do u think that ill lose out on sonic performance but gain sount quality going from nad to audio lab ps if i get a 8000p and a 8000q pre amp i might just as well get a 8000cd that would mean the components would work perfectly together how good is the 8000cd have u ever heard it

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
No, but I think Andrew have got one.
I have heard the amp though and it's ok, easy to enjoy and little to dislike, even if they didn't blow me away.

A

Anonymous

i'll ask him then ta good night mate ps wat is your ocupation ? just curious .im a chef thats y im alway on line late at night and never during the day

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]i'll ask him then ta good night mate ps wat is your ocupation ? just curious .im a chef thats y im alway on line late at night and never during the day[/quote]
I am an under cover agent, 007 ose KI is my agent code!
What are you cooking tonight?

A

Anonymous

thanks andrew ill call them soon i see on the website the audiolab equipment is on a fantastic looking rack wat make is it and or wat model

TRENDING THREADS