How much of my budget should go on cabling?

A

Anonymous

10% usualy but more if u wanna get decent hi-fi rack and stands if they are needed, i tend to spend more but at the end of the day you have to make a decision just remember dont take shortcuts on speaker cables and interconnects if u gonna blow 3k on hi-fi i'd spend at list 100 pounds on a cable and 150 to 200 on good speaker cable and consider speaker stands if u running bookshelf speakers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My advise to you is "Synergy" matching....10% rule or not. Blind demo is the best way for cables purchasing if you can find a friendly dealer. My friend prefer Van damme speakers cables than Nordost which cost 10 times more and some swear by QED SA which I throw away! As far as wire concern price haven't got much to do with it, Which system are you buying?

A

Anonymous

"Blind demo" will be fine once I've narrowed down my options a bit. There are so many options for how to divide up the money between 3 bits of kit even before starting on cabling that it's impossible to listen to every permutation.

Does anyone fundamentally disagree with 10%?

A

Anonymous

there is nothing wrong with the 10% rule just that spending a little more will give u a little more some times alot more 10% is the list u should spend

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Sex, (I think you should change your user name so my wife can be sure that I am reading the hifi forum!) I love a good debate if you are up for it, no argument though.....just a nice relaxing debate base on Fact!

A

Anonymous

ok ill change my name so your wife dont kill u ( see im a good lad!)then we'll debate wat u wanna debate about gov?

A

Anonymous

if you're looking for controvery (!), i know a lot of top notch recording studios that don't believe in the high quality cable debate at all.

true, a lot of studio gear is wired with balanced cabling (i never understood why hifis you unbalanced!) which makes cable quality less critical. still, a lot of studios are using ac mains cable for their (very, very expensive) speakers. i've also heard about modified cat 5 cable producing excellent results for speaker cable. and a lot of talk about snake oil.

so how bout 3-5% of budget instead?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
No mate....what I am try to say is "system matching" ie without knowing the source, amp and speakers How can you have a budget for the cables? Many people may think I am a cable skeptic, in fact I am certainly "not" if someone teach me how to post a picture on this forum I can show you how many cables I have own.

A

Anonymous

thaiman sorry but your wife's gonna have to put up with my naME COS I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHANGE IT

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't worry buddy, that was a tongue-in-cheek comment....keep log on to the forum and you may know that I have a strange sense of humour.

A

Anonymous

I think you've got to decide what you're willing to spend then try them out if you can - people here will help narrow things down a bit - I'm in the same boat right now with the added problem of being in Australia. A lot of the retailers I've spoken to here have tended to talk too much waffle on this subject to be honest with more than enough of them playing down the impact of cables.
This argument has I'm afraid been lost on me as last time I had a decent HiFi - about 10 years ago I was absolutely shocked at how much better it sounded with improved interconnects and speaker cables. Back then I was lucky as the retailer (in Middlesbrough) sold me the rest of my system and made excellent recommendations for me at various price points and was right on the money so to speak.
If only I could find a retailer here who had similar experience.... For the record, I've spent about A$6k on my system so far and am prepared to pay perhaps A$500-600 on speaker cables (3 sets, 1 biwire, 2 x bi-amp). If I had more expensive kit I'd go a touch further as I'd expect to reap the benefits but in this case I think beyond that, given the quality of the rest of the system, its probably getting into the area of diminishing returns. Not sure if that helps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts