How much for a decent speaker upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently auditioning speakers to replace my 7 year old Monitor Audio S6. Nothing particularly wrong with the S6, I've just decided that it's time for an upgrade.

I've had the Spendor S5e at home for a week and after some initial running in they sound really good Better than the S6 in all areas I'd say. But, the problem is that they don't sound THAT much better. Am I expecting too much? I probably won't buy another set of speakers for another 5+ years so I don't mind spending a bit more now to get a significant improvement. How much do I need to spend and any tips on what I should spend it on?

I've got the Neat Motive 2 and 1 on trial this week. I had been reluctant to go as high as the Motive 1s in terms of cost but maybe I will have to.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

What don't you like about the Monitor Audios?

There's nothing specific that I don't like. The treble can be a bit harsh sometimes I suppose but I wouldn't get a new set of speakers just because of that.

Not too long ago I upgraded my CDP from Arcam CD72 to CA 840C and amp from Arcam A65+ to Myryad MXI2080. There was nothing particularly wrong with the Arcam gear but after 6 or 7 years I wanted to see if I could spend a bit of money and get something better. Both the new CDP and amp offered me a clear improvement that made me not want to go back to the Arcam gear, so I didn't mind spending the money. I am now hoping to achieve something similar with the speakers. i.e. Not looking to fix any particular shortcoming.

I've enjoyed listening to the Spendors this week but it's not going to cause me much pain if I have to go back to the S6. The S6 was around £600 when I bought them. I don't mind going up to £1500 if necessary but was really hoping to find something closer to the £1000 that would make the purchase worthwhile.

I currently run the RS6's with the A65 Plus, and for the money, it's brilliant.

With your kit and budget I would give serious consideration to PMC GB1i's. I heard the orginal GB's with an Arcam and they were great sounding. Although, in saying that, how the GB's compare to the Spendors. . .I couldn't really say. The PMC should work well with your amp.

I would be inclined to try the Proac Studio 140 or Totem Arro's.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

With your kit and budget I would give serious consideration to PMC GB1i's...

I would be inclined to try the Proac Studio 140 or Totem Arro's.

Thanks. The PMCs were high on my list based on reviews alone but aren't easy to find here in Australia. The price of the Proacs is way out of line with the UK price, so the Studio 140s aren't in budget for me. I hadn't considered Totem and have no idea if they are even sold here. I'll take a look.

Perhaps if the Neats aren't quite what I'm after I'll revisit the PMC option. There is a stockist but the latest 'i' series hadn't arrived last time I spoke to him.

A

Anonymous

You appear to be generally happy with your MA's. Not surprised really as they are a very nice speaker for the money.
I run the RS8's which are a lovely speaker (and finish in real wood veneer) held back slightly by its timing.
However this is easily fixed (and why MA haven't done it themselves I do not know) by replacing the 'in house' Crossover caps with SA clarity Caps.

It transforms them into giving a sound that is truly amazing. Better, I think than the GS's.

Of course you can save yourself £900 and put them in what you have got, I doubt you will then want to replace them at all!!!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Looking at your setup, IMO, i'd be looking to change the amp to marry better with the C/A CDP and then look to upgrade the speakers.

I feel that idf youre happy with the M/A speakers now; the amp change would be more beneficial and then possibly take a look at the M/A RS8's, B&W 683's or the M/A GR20's -

http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/product/Monitor-Audio-GS20-Floorstanding-Speakers.html

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Looking at your setup, IMO, i'd be looking to change the amp to marry better with the C/A CDP and then look to upgrade the speakers.

I feel that idf youre happy with the M/A speakers now; the amp change would be more beneficial and then possibly take a look at the M/A RS8's, B&W 683's or the M/A GR20's -

http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/product/Monitor-Audio-GS20-Floorstanding-Speakers.html

I bought the amp after the CDP and it was the one that I thought was the best match, having auditioned CA, Naim, Cyrus along with the Myryad. So I'm definitely not looking to change that again at this stage.

I had been thinking about the GS20s as an obvious upgrade but ruled them out just because I fancied a change from MA. In hindsight that's not a particularly good reason! I should rule them back in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts