How much better is a DAC X than a DacMagic?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
It would seem that the DacMagic is one of the ultimate products of the century according to all the reviews from the mags and people here. I have one and I do think its good. I've read somewhere else that the Cyrus Dac X is in a different league - it must then be absolutely amazing!? Is this true??

A

Anonymous

I'd love to know that answer aswell, I wonder if the DAC X (£1200) is 6 x better than the DM?

How do you find the Squeezebox? I'm currently using my DM via the USB, is there much difference?

Thanksÿ

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gary.
I've never used the DACMagic via USB but via the squeezebox via coax digital it is AMAZING. Night and Day better than the squeezebox analogue out. (I've heard that USB is meant to be not as good as coax - something to do with jitter I think - but probably it makes no practical or discernable difference (unless you're using outrageous kit!))

On the subject of the squeezebox it is without doubt one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought - I have NEVER regretted it. Its small, has a great display (Squeezebox 3 not duet), and I can control it with my iphone so can flick through all album art etc just like the new duet controller and the Sonos controller. It is seriously good. Takes a bit of setting up but once done it is awesome - you also need a computer on to "serve" the files but I have an HP mediasmart server which is on 24/7. Its basically a bit-perfect transport that will happily serve to a cheapo dac or a Billion-pound-ultra-amazing-dac wirelessly to anywhere in the house. Basically you will NEVER need to by another transport EVER in your LIFE...............unless it breaks.......

Matt!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I cannot comment on the DAC X never having heard it.

I have heard a DacMagic three or four times now (for a few hours each time) through a decent mid-range hifi (not mine) fed with lossless files from iTunes on a Mac and connected with balanced XLRs. The owner likes it and I found it bass heavy/thick/very boomy and tiresome to listen to compared to his Rega Apollo.

This suprised me a little in view of the consensus here and all the build up over previous months.

I went in for a USB DAC long before the DacMagic was launched (see my sig for details) and I am happy that my set-up at least equals the performance from the built-in CD player in my Solo-Mini.

If I ever upgrade it will always be to a DAC that has excellent USB performance so I have no interest in the current Cyrus DAC. They may be launching a version soon with USB and I have no doubt (being Cyrus) it will be a five star product.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mattc76:(I've heard that USB is meant to be not as good as coax - something to do with jitter I think - but probably it makes no practical or discernable difference (unless you're using outrageous kit!)

I would be interested to have some links to where you read that. I have read completely the opposite from a number of DAC manufacturers (and not those who make USB only DACs).

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby:.....and I have no doubt (being Cyrus) it will be a five star product.

Is that because Cyrus makes good kit, or because of reviewer bias?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby:mattc76:(I've heard that USB is meant to be not as good as coax - something to do with jitter I think - but probably it makes no practical or discernable difference (unless you're using outrageous kit!)

I would be interested to have some links to where you read that. I have read completely the opposite from a number of DAC manufacturers (and not those who make USB only DACs).

Can't remember but it was recently....i'll get hunting..

John Duncan

chebby:mattc76:(I've heard that USB is meant to be not as good as coax - something to do with jitter I think - but probably it makes no practical or discernable difference (unless you're using outrageous kit!)

The Cambridge CEO had some comments on it before everybody had one. Will dig it out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This bears a very careful reading.

Basically - in the performance of USB vs SPDIF - it is the implementation of USB that is key (ie. whether it is done as an 'afterthought' or not.)

I trust that companies like Stello, Benchmark, Chord, dCS and others (including Wavelength who make reputedly superb 'USB only' DACs) do not include USB as an 'afterthought' and in good hands USB can sound every bit as good.

A recent review of the £18,500 Scarlatti DAC + Upsampler combo from dCS demonstrates that (even at this elevated level) USB is taken very seriously as being capable of true high-end performance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mikeinbrum:
Here's a new product which may offer another solution for getting stuff off your computer via USB and onto your DAC....

http://www.belcantodesign.com/news_usb_link.html

But their DAC 3 already has 24bit/96khz USB without having to convert it to SPDIF.....

http://www.belcantodesign.com/images/prod_DAC3_back.jpg

If the Bel Canto USB Link costs $495 then it will undoubtedly cost about £450 + here in the UK. (Just for an adaptor.)

I cannot see the point in using this & and the £200 DacMagic when you could get a Stello DA-100 Signature (with USB) for the same money or a Benchmark DAC1 USB for just a little more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts