how much better do amps get?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been pondering as to how much improvement an amp achieves once upgraded.

I know, from time to time, a seachange in tech means immediately (and perhaps for the following update) the newer model is far superior (changing from pro-logic to DD to True DolbyHD etc), but how much better is the, say, Denon 1910 than the 1909.

Is it worth £50 more, or £100 more? Is it better to get a 2309 (assuming there is one) than a 1910?

Just wondering, a propos nuffink, if anyone had any views?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well we think the Denon AVR-1910 is a whole star better than the AVR-1909
emotion-2.gif

A lot of it is differences in balance/tone - remember, the 2009 models are UK-tuned, and it seems to have made a real difference - the newer models have the punch and drive of some rival models but also the warmth and refinement Denon is renowned for.

As for whether last year's next-step up model would outperform it...well, you'd still have those tonal differences, and you'd only benefit from the extra power/features in an appropriate set-up.

I've mentioned many times to people thinking of upgrading last year's model to this (Pistol Pete and his receiver quest spring to mind!), that it's an incremental move at best. You'd best save up for a bigger move at a later date. After all, next year's range will probably be better still
emotion-2.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: Well we think the Denon AVR-1910 is a whole star better than the AVR-1909

Thanks for the reply Clare (although the 1909 was a 5 star product for a scintilla!). TBH, I've never really been "in love" with my 1909, it's always been "a fine performer", but nothing more. Perhaps I just don't like the Denon sound (although lately (and I'm not sure if it's an over-heating/specific dvd/other issue) it's been playing up a bit - the deeper voices sound like they're coming from next door), so I've been pondering an upgrade, but thinking about a last-year's end of line (like the Yamaha rxv1900 or similar).

In any case I need to play the same trick that allowed me upgrade from CRT to LCD (drop it when moving house...!).

TRENDING THREADS