How long have you had your current setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just to see how many fellow hi-fi enthusiasts have the urge to tweak and upgrade their system... How long have you had your current setup? This includes all your main components as well as all accessories (cables, isolation, stands etc.)? I will start the ball rolling... 3 days for me - the last thing i bought was a Tacima mains block. (for those interested) The jury is still out on this tweak as i have a broken tweeter so any benefit is not really going to show until my speakers are fixed...

A

Anonymous

about 6 months.

next purchase will be 2nd week in december(2nd power amp) because I told my wife I wouldn't change anything for about a year.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
about three months, had some teething troubles getting the right speaker position but think i'm finally getting the sound i should. i did have my kit on my tv's cabinet stand and have just got an atacama equinox avi. i have read reviews of racks and thought maybe they do improve the sound but that you would need supersonic hearing to notice and that i wouldn't hear a difference. happy too admit i was very wrong, the sound is a lot cleaner/clearer and a bit tighter in the bass. i mentioned it to my partner expecting to be shot down, and she agreed straightaway. looks great too.
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

Most recent purchase was a Rega spacer to boost the VTA on my P3 in order to accommodate an AT440MLa cartridge. Prior to that, it was the cartridge!

The Linn CD player is from March 2007 and a Samsung DVD-HD950 was picked up just over a year back for SACD duties but is rarely played.

Cables were changed last year; Audioquest Turquoise went and in came Van den Hul's The Name. Qunex Qnect3 hooks up the SACD player to the amp. All in all a busy old year!

Everything else - P3, Missions and Marantz amp are from 7 to 11 years old.

A

Anonymous

cd and amp were upgraded about 3 weeks ago, the speakers about 2 1/2 years ago and the initial set up bought about 4 years ago.

this current system (with maybe the exception of the stand which i bought at christmas) is now planned to last me for years and years - i actually only upgraded the cd and amp as i knew i wasnt getting the best from my speakers. I was quite happy with the sound i had. I can't imagine having the money to spend (an estimated) 1500+ per component to get a significant improvement for years.

the only temptation is maybe a better turntable, but i'm not sure i need it if i start buying cds again.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Me I bought my amp, Pioneer A-400 brand new 1990

CD player, Marantz cd63se Brand new circa 1995 although just around 1mth ago I myself fitted a brand new transport/Laser assembly.

Speakers circa 1995 B&W 602 s2's

Cassette Deck 1992 ish Nakamichi DR3 (Still sounding good and well stable)

Newest additions are the project Audio Debut 2 Turntable 2004 ish, and custom design speaker stands last year.

All this stuff is still sounding superb, no crackling volume control knobs or switches, mind you about once a year I take everything out the rack and clean everything inside and out, and all cables.

If anyone else has got older kit and you fancy cleaning the insides out take heed!!

Make sure that everything has been disconnected from the mains for at least a couple of days before cleaning the insides out, use a can of compressed Air and don't spray WD40 inside, use proper switch lubricant, and try not to touch anything with your fingers. I used to repair TV's and VHS machines years ago and I've had a few capacitors discharge on occasions in the past and it is not funny believe me.

John Duncan

Latest acquisition was a Primare A20 about three weeks ago, but it's still sitting in my drawer at work. Prior to that was the mtaching D20 CD player, about two months ago, then a Project RPM5.2 as a Christmas present, followed swiftly by a Cambridge 640p so that I could play it. Current amp and speakers (creek/PMC) are about a year old.

A

Anonymous

So it seems that most of us are continualy looking for upgrades and/or tweaks to perform on our hi-fi...
i wonder if this is because we are unhappy with our systems or just because we are looking to improve on an already good system...
a question that arises from all of this is 'where do you draw the line between trying to tweak the sound from your exsisting system and deciding that you need to replace the components that comprise your system'?
any thoughts?

T

the record spot

Forgot to add earlier, a granite chopping board and four carpet protectors in which you normally put castors except my four have said granite board on top of them and it in turn has the P3. A very effective and inexpensive isolation platform. Bought them about a year ago and it's been an excellent upgrade - great value for about £13 all in!

A

Anonymous

About 4 hours! See my thread a few posts down about a £250 setup.

I've been sat in the same chair since I unpacked it listening to some favourites. I'm mighty pleased so far!

A

Anonymous

My most recent purchase was the Rega apollo and Rega couple interconnects around 2 weeks ago.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
7 hours!
[/quote]

You must be getting itchy now Thaiman. 7 hours is a long time to keep the same system.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Got my replacement AVI cdp last week - got rest of system (AVI Lab Series Int & Duo speakers) about 6 months ago as an upgrade from my budget system. When funds permit my future purchases/upgrades will be adding a sub (BK), headphones & amp (Alessandro/Creek) and turntable/phono stage (Roksan or Rega/Trichord or Heed)

A

Anonymous

Nordost Blue Heaven i/c - this week

Cyrus DAC-X last week

Looking to get a power amp (or two) but will wait until after my summer holiday for that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts