How long do microphones live ?

macskahala

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
With dynamic microphones, obviously, it's not a problem. In condenser microphones, the plastic film ages, the electret decreases? How long do I mean keeping a retro microphone running if I hire a presenter with it? there are cheap prices for old, good brand microphones...
One person says that electret will slowly break down in 40 years, another says it will not. Is it allowed to buy an old high-quality microphone for non-profit work. The new ones are expensive, and I like the retro stuff

Last edited:

Friesiansam

With dynamic microphones, obviously, it's not a problem. In condenser microphones, the plastic film ages, the electret decreases? How long do I mean keeping a retro microphone running if I hire a presenter with it? there are cheap prices for old, good brand microphones...
Nobody can know how long a used microphone is going to last. Surely just use it until it starts to deteriorate.

macskahala

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
You're alone in worrying about it, that's for sure.
One person says that electret will slowly break down in 40 years, another says it will not. Is it allowed to buy an old high-quality microphone for non-profit work. The new ones are expensive, and I like the retro stuff

Gray

You could buy an old mic, though some people are asking unreasonably high prices for vintage things.
It depends what you regard as expensive for a new mic - some really are (I saw an 'ASMRtist' using a '6000 Dollar' mic on YT 🤨).

Depending on your use requirements, a Behringer C5 might be worth a look.
Or for the same price you could get a C2 stereo pair.
Rode mics are popular, if expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts