How gullible are we?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
In the current issue of hi fi + (issue 63) Steve Dickinson has written an article describing the amazing improvements in sound gained by the equipment rack! LOL. I'm not talking about comparing a shaky folding table to a solid surface, I'm talking about comparing a good solid base to a hi end equipment rack. But wait, it get's better, although the sound is very good with the hi end equipment rack "profound" improvment can be had by changing the shelf shape. That's right, replacing the rectangular shelf with a guitar shaped shelf resulted in a profound difference. Makes you wonder about his definition of the word "profound".

But let's not scoff at this as there are many unexplained phenomena in audio equipment. For instance, I've noticed that when I do not dust my listening room for a long period of time, the sound becomes so much more musical. The music really comes alive. Now you may be thinking about trying this yourself, but not so fast. I've experimented and it seems to be restricted to dust containing my dead skin cells. Your dust simply won't work. But there's hope for you. In an limited and exclusive offer, I'm willing to sell small quantities of my dust to your for bargain prices! Just sprinkle liberally around your listening room. Headphone wearers can benefit as well by using the dust in each ear cup...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I can't remember where I saw it but I remember reading about some guy who reckoned his hi-fi sounded better if he listened to it with only one sock on.

He didn't mention where he wore the sock though, which I thought was a bit slack...

matthewpiano

Its ridiculous isn't it!! The word 'obsessive' springs to mind. Have to say, I read all the main UK hifi mags, EXCEPT HiFi+, which I find lives completely outside of the real world.

I'm off to align the screw heads on all my plugs now....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:I can't remember where I saw it but I remember reading about some guy who reckoned his hi-fi sounded better if he listened to it with only one sock on.
He didn't mention where he wore the sock though, which I thought was a bit slack...

Jimmy Hughes. Long time ago. Hi-Fi Answers, I think...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure what the issue is here.

I myself have a number of different shaped hi-fi shelves which i can interchange to fine tune the sound i get depending on my mood at the time of listening :)

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:the_lhc:I can't remember where I saw it but I remember reading about some guy who reckoned his hi-fi sounded better if he listened to it with only one sock on.

You mean It doesn't work oh my god...sneaks behind couch and puts other sock on....
emotion-10.gif

T

the record spot

( quietly removes the Audio_Denegration Sonic Bodysuit he bought off a Bettaware catalogue last Tuesday... )

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:the_lhc:I can't remember where I saw it but I remember reading about some guy who reckoned his hi-fi sounded better if he listened to it with only one sock on.

[Edited by mods - please do not discuss banned posters]

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:What shape guitar?

I think a flying V would be the most obvious shape
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I just happened upon a RS leaflet containing an ICON MODUS hi-fi rack..In it, it quotes a WHF 5 star review saying "Rhythms are taut and well founded.It delivers plenty of drive" which struck me is bloody nonsense, but then I'm no hifi nut.

Anyway I've had a wee look and I cant find the icon modus anywhere on WHF's site...

A

Anonymous

Hi Jax,

Strangely I read that article too and it was about the perspex top on the Quadraspire rack.

I asked Quadraspire about this at the Bristol show and they stated quite firmly that the oval shape cut into their perspex shelf at the top of their rack, does in fact sound much better than without it !!

This was in conjunction with the next step up the guitar shape !! but this was with a company called something ..... works the name escapes me who researched all this with Quadraspire .

All I do know is that perspex does sound better than glass for a shelf possibly due to the ringing that glass inhereintly has.

But Jax Ive gotta better one how about paying £50 out for a audiophile hi fi fuse !!

Just read a review that said it made a profound difference too !!

Again dont laugh but I changed a 13 amp fuse to a 5 amp fuse and there was a subtle improvement but this could have been the mere fact of taking the plug out and putting it back !!

I then tried it with no fuse and again a subtle improvement, but got abit concerned I might blow something so put it back.

So where you might have thought changing a fuse is snake oil, and it might well be but there could just be something there tho.

I understand IsoTec use this £50 fuse in their top of the range stuff , but I draw the line in paying £50 for a 13 amp fuse.

I await someone out there saying this is well worth the money the diffference is night and day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

personaly i like hi-fi, home cinima and other gadgits and i can notice inprovements from better eqipment (main bits cd,amp etc.) quality interconects and speeker cable .

but i do have to say i have never noticed any improvment by say a fancy power cable and after hearing one of the reps on a stall at the sound and vision show at bristol talk about them i just thort yes all very well but what about all the naffy wiring in my walls and the quality of my wall sockets.

spending £90 on a power cable is just a compleate waste of money but spending a few bob on a mains conditioner might make things a little better but could i tell the diffrence?

any way enough ranting im off to cover my walls in egg boxes and put on my tinfoil hat so i can enjoy my music better

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
robborollover:Again dont laugh but I changed a 13 amp fuse to a 5 amp fuse and there was a subtle improvement but this could have been the mere fact of taking the plug out and putting it back !!

I then tried it with no fuse and again a subtle improvement, but got abit concerned I might blow something so put it back.

A 5 amp fuse (assuming it just for the hifi) is probably the correct rating unless you have some monster amp.

Using current x voltage = power (watts) then 5 amps is enough for equipment drawing up to 1200 watts before the fuse blows.

I use a 13 amp fuse on the Tacima CS929 and 5 or 3 amp fuses on everything plugged into it.

idc

If someone enjoys their music (important point that, enjoy, as if you enjoy your music more it will sound better to you and you will hear it as having improved) by wearing one sock or putting on a tin foil hat or buying some of Jaxwired's dust, so what? That does not mean you are gullible.

Audiophiles get to know their system intimately and will notice even small changes that have no apparent causes. Hence once I posted a thread asking why my music sounded better one night than the night before. Very small changes, only noticeable to the hifi owner can make a whole lot of difference to their enjoyment. That is why I accept and believe that a shelf shape can make a difference and I am not being gullible about it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts