How good is the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 as an audio CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi WhatHiFi

I am looking to buy a total new system. I am pretty much set on 2 B&W685's and a Marantz PM6004. Unfortunately I do not have the space for both a dedicated audio CD player AND a blu ray player. I read in the review on this site that the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 has pretty good audio quality. So now I am wondering: could I use it to play my audio CDs? I am sure that buying a CD6004 will give me better quality, but will the difference be huge? I have heard that speakers are most important and after that the amplifier. The CD player, I am told, is the least important link.

Or is there a blu-ray player out there with even better 2 channel audio CD performance?

Any other advice? Thanks!

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I am currently using the BDT220 as music source and it is

quite good. Haven't heard the CD6004 so can't compare.

If possible I would get the CD player. I find the 220 to be

a bit forward and gets tiring after a while. Had a lot of problems

using it to stream as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi Oldenbroke, thanks for the reply. I am a bit confused though. You say it is quite good, but also gets tiring after a while. I am new to all the HiFi terms. What does "forward" mean? Can you please elaborate on your problems with streaming as well? My choice for the Pana 220 was based on the fact that it has DLNA in addition to good DVD upscaling and blu ray capabilities. Maybe I shouldn´t focus on the Pana?

Can anyone else reccomend a blu ray player that has:

Good blu ray visuals

Very good DVD upscaling

Fantastic CD audio sound (2 channel)

Easy to use and well functioning streaming from a networked hard disk

My space is limited but I have a bit of budget for the player. I could spend about 500 pounds on it.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Metanoia said:
Hi WhatHiFi

I am looking to buy a total new system. I am pretty much set on 2 B&W685's and a Marantz PM6004. Unfortunately I do not have the space for both a dedicated audio CD player AND a blu ray player. I read in the review on this site that the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 has pretty good audio quality. So now I am wondering: could I use it to play my audio CDs? I am sure that buying a CD6004 will give me better quality, but will the difference be huge? I have heard that speakers are most important and after that the amplifier. The CD player, I am told, is the least important link.

Or is there a blu-ray player out there with even better 2 channel audio CD performance?

Any other advice? Thanks!

a dedicated CD will be a better option for hearing music (anless you are going to buy a high end BD such as the OPPO 95 :exmark: )

I think it is better to buy a good CD for music such as the 6004 CD and a budget BD for movies :?

I would suggest you demo both options & compare. Panasonic has paid attention & added high quality DACs in some of its players:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2012-panasonic-blu-ray-players-feature-quality-dac-and-flac-support

You can always add an external DAC to your blu ray player to improve audio performance.

lapuzrg

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would suggest you demo both options & compare. Panasonic has paid attention & added high quality DACs in some of its players: http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2012-panasonic-blu-ray-players-feature-quality-dac-and-flac-support You can always add an external DAC to your blu ray player to improve audio performance.

Hi Big Boss, will an external DAC (Any suggestion) improve the audio performance of my Sony BDPS-370? If yes, how do I connect it?

Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks & regards, :)

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I find cheap blu ray players to be very clunky and slow as cd player tbh. Sound wise the Sony 480 was'nt too shabby but still bettered by a cdp. If network streaming isn't needed something like azur 650bd, marantz ud5005 or Denon 1611 can be had for under £200. I owned the 650bd, it was awesome on 2 channel blu ray and worked just aswell as a cdp although my mates arcam cd62 beat it. Blu rays did look a little grainy too, not as good as the Sony 480.

I did buy a pioneer bdp320 for £60. Awesome for that money, upscales DVD brilliantly well and excellent with blu ray and cd wise sounds the same as my azur 650cd player except the voices are further in the background whereas the voices on the azur are right in your face.

I tried to be happy with one box but wasn't. I paid £150 for the azur and £60 for the pioneer and now very happy. If you need Netflix, iplayer and YouTube I can highly recommend wdtv live. It's awesome and pq is as good if not better than sky hd.

Ive had an rdac, vdac ii and it barely bettered my Sony 480 and tv Dac. I was so disappointed i sold both and bought separate boxes.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a pioneer bdp320 and until recently a marantz cd6003. The cd6003 is better for cd sound quality by quite a bit IMO. The way I would explain it is: listening to cd on the pioneer music sounds ok but switch to the marantz and it sounds as if a box has been lifted off each speaker, much more open and natural.

lapuzrg

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Rick1979 said:
I find cheap blu ray players to be very clunky and slow as cd player tbh. Sound wise the Sony 480 was'nt too shabby but still bettered by a cdp. If network streaming isn't needed something like azur 650bd, marantz ud5005 or Denon 1611 can be had for under £200. I owned the 650bd, it was awesome on 2 channel blu ray and worked just aswell as a cdp although my mates arcam cd62 beat it. Blu rays did look a little grainy too, not as good as the Sony 480.

I did buy a pioneer bdp320 for £60. Awesome for that money, upscales DVD brilliantly well and excellent with blu ray and cd wise sounds the same as my azur 650cd player except the voices are further in the background whereas the voices on the azur are right in your face.

I tried to be happy with one box but wasn't. I paid £150 for the azur and £60 for the pioneer and now very happy. If you need Netflix, iplayer and YouTube I can highly recommend wdtv live. It's awesome and pq is as good if not better than sky hd.

Ive had an rdac, vdac ii and it barely bettered my Sony 480 and tv Dac. I was so disappointed i sold both and bought separate boxes.

Thanks for your thoughts, Rick :)

lapuzrg

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Ben K. said:
I have a pioneer bdp320 and until recently a marantz cd6003. The cd6003 is better for cd sound quality by quite a bit IMO. The way I would explain it is: listening to cd on the pioneer music sounds ok but switch to the marantz and it sounds as if a box has been lifted off each speaker, much more open and natural.

Hi Ben your inputs are much appreciated. I'm here in the Middle East at the moment, and I saw a Marantz CD6003 but unfortunately, the salesman won't allow me to listen to it. |( Based on your description, the sound is open and natural. So, would you give me the green light to go and buy it for SR 1,300 (Saudi Riyal) even without hearing it? FYI, I'm using a Marantz NR-1402.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
When I compared my blu ray to my CD player both were connected to my Yamaha rxv2065. Blu ray via hdmi and cd via analogue interconnects. For me the cd was superior for cd play back.

I have not heard your av receiver or the Panasonic blu ray so can't advise directly. A friend of mine has a Panasonic dmp-bdt320 and it is a very good blu ray player although I doubt it would stand up against the marantz CD player for cd play back.

If your marantz has digital inputs and the Panasonic your looking at has a digital output the two together connected digitally may be a good compromise if you only want one box. That way you will use the dac in your marantz and the Panasonic as a transport.

Sorry I would not like to tell you what to spend your money on as your tastes and interpretations may be very different to mine.

I can tell you that the cd6003 is a very good CD player for the money it costs here. Sorry I'm not familiar with your currency.

lapuzrg

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Ben K. said:
When I compared my blu ray to my CD player both were connected to my Yamaha rxv2065. Blu ray via hdmi and cd via analogue interconnects. For me the cd was superior for cd play back.

I have not heard your av receiver or the Panasonic blu ray so can't advise directly. A friend of mine has a Panasonic dmp-bdt320 and it is a very good blu ray player although I doubt it would stand up against the marantz CD player for cd play back.

If your marantz has digital inputs and the Panasonic your looking at has a digital output the two together connected digitally may be a good compromise if you only want one box. That way you will use the dac in your marantz and the Panasonic as a transport.

Sorry I would not like to tell you what to spend your money on as your tastes and interpretations may be very different to mine.

I can tell you that the cd6003 is a very good CD player for the money it costs here. Sorry I'm not familiar with your currency.

Ben, really appreciate your thoughts. I am leaning on getting the Marantz CD-6003 to team up with my Marantz NR-1402 a/v receiver. Hopefully, they match & will have a good synergy

Have a nice day :)

A

Anonymous

samsung-ht-e6730w-7-1-3d-home-theater-system-1330.jpg

Your suggestion is good but i want to give you my opinion is that Samsung 5.1 Channel 1330W 3D Blu-ray Home Theater System Enjoy a more realistic experience with Vacuum Tube and Digital Sound. Hear your favorite music for the first time with the innovation of analog and digital sound combined.you fined this on http://www.hookprice.com/pd/samsung-ht-e6730w-7-1-3d-home-theater-system-1330-427778299 with deals and coupons for your saving discounts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts