how far have you gone for the perfect set up?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
how far have you gone for the perfect sound / set up?

just booked a builder for a week on monday to come in and remove a wall in my lounge (subject to mains cable running all the way through it) so i can get my speakers away from in front of a patio door and on to a solid wall so will be perfectly placed for my new listening position. And projector screen from out in front of a window

Also planning big thick curtains to cover my windows and a new rug for the middle of the floor!

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats dedication! I went through quite lot to set up my av kit - TV on wall, speakers chased into walls and under floors etc - I even had the stonemason who made my fireplace 2 months previously come back and take 200mm off the headstone so the viewing angle was better. He wasn't impressed!

I'm still not entirely happy. The av set ups fine but I can't get the hifi right. I had thought about taking out a wall but that would mean most of my living space including the kitchen would be open plan - not ideal.

Can we have a photo journal please Mat?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I read a term on a US hifi forum today - WAF, apparently if stands for Wife Approval Factor! I think most of us are limited by the WAF regarding the extent we go to get our perfect system!

SteveR750

pete321:I read a term on a US hifi forum today - WAF, apparently if stands for Wife Approval Factor! I think most of us are limited by the WAF regarding the extent we go to get our perfect system!

and therein lies the ultimate answer! Only problem is if you follow that route then you'll be too skint to buy any CD's let alone new gear....

SteveR750

JohnDuncan:Farnborough...

I nearly typed The Moon, but thought it was too obvious...
emotion-5.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well builder is booked in for next monday so in prep have reorganised my room this weekend and set my system up on the opposite wall to the one that will be demolished and poss where it will stay moving forward - have had to due to furniture place the speakers 3.4m apart which worried me and my listening position is currently not ideal aprox 2.5m away giving them room to breath and with sofa against the wall i'm removing.

Been a positive experience as the sound stage seems bigger and more 3 dimensional than before and sure will get even better when move a little further away again and the rear wall will be over a meter further behind that - this is the furthest i have ever had speakers apart as before were 2.3m apart due to getting too close to corners with listening position just over 3m away and I sometimes found the top end a little screechy but all that seems to have gone now and seem to have better bass as well - could be down to the fact that there was a glass door behind one of speakers before and now against bblock wall, also added the x170 which has helped and not sure if some could be the bounce back off wall now seated against

room layout and speakers positioning seems to have a massive effect on the way your system sounds - i think in the past my setup has always been best fit and think that has prevented my system from really sounding its best - would recommend anyone to take a weekend to move around our speakers before buying more kit and make sure you have the optimum setup

A

Anonymous

pete321:I read a term on a US hifi forum today - WAF, apparently if stands for Wife Approval Factor! I think most of us are limited by the WAF regarding the extent we go to get our perfect system!Well....I have to say that mine goes along with practically anything. In most cases she is happy to let me indulge. But best of all....she's cheap to run......
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:well builder is booked in for next monday so in prep have reorganised my room this weekend and set my system up on the opposite wall to the one that will be demolished

Not sure how many walls you have been around when they are being demolished but moving the hifi to the other side of the room is not adequate 'prep'.

Boxing up the system and putting it in another room with bin liners sealed around the boxes would be better.

Moving out all the furniture and carpets is probably a good idea too!

Even a plasterboard and timber wall can create a lot of mess.

If it is a masonry wall, then you probably need to hear the words 'Acro' and 'Lintel' or 'RSJ' before the job is too far advanced. (And not shouted in panic - followed by rapid footsteps then screeching van tyres - hopefully!)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
My lounge already had a support lintal in place 2 feet inside the wall i was removing - was just a stud platerboard wall creating a corridor - all gone now took about 4 days to remove, move a few light switches, join a couple of cables and plaster the ceilings and wall - i took my speakers out the room and all my kit is in cabinets which i covered in plastic sheeting taped to the floor then blankets then my granite speaker bases to stop anything moving and dust getting anywhere near.

Really enjoying the new open space its created and system sounding better than ever now in a perfect triangle from my speakers and set up - still now rewired the home cinema yet but will get round to it.

Will update some pictures shortly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts