How do you rip stereo audio from a DVD or a Blu-Ray

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
I've seen many posts about the best software to rip audio from CDs. But what's the best to use to rip the stereo sound track from a DVD? Or a Blu-Ray?

I have some music concerts on disc where there's an LPCM stereo sound track as well as the usual surround audio. I'd like to rip this to a FLAC or a WAV at the equivalent sampling/bit rate as the original - any suggestions (Windows based, not Apple.....).

Regards - David

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
DVDFab Decrypter audio ripper to WAV Its a Brilliant piece of software - you can get the free trial here http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

I've done this with all my Bluray and DVD concerts (The Boss, Floyd, Gilmour, Primal Scream, Bob Dylan unplugged...) - I do this becuase I like to have them burned on CD and it works a treat.

I've always ripped the stereo 2 channel version of the sound, using the WAV encode profile of DVD Fab, but you can use any profile you like for MP3 / WMA - even raw - a perfect bit for bit rip.

It's now (just recently) legal to do as long as you own the source.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have only ever needed to do this for BBC FM radio plays from the 1990s that I had originally recorded onto VHS Nicam* (audio only) then subsequently recorded to DVD-R when we 'transitioned' from VHS to DVD with a Panasonic DVD/VHS/HDD recorder a few years ago.

I used Mpeg Streamclip software to demux the VOB files to AIFF before importing to iTunes as ALAC.

It worked fine and the plays still sound pristine despite having gone from FM to VHS Nicam then DVD-R and finally iTunes with - in a few instances - 15 years between orignally recording them and importing them to iTunes.

If you use this software I can't help you because it is a few years since I finished using it and deleted it along with the last VHS leaving the house.

No doubt what I did was probably not allowed. Even though it was only ever 'off-air' BBC radio transmissions taped for my personal listening. However, only a few have ever been repeated, even fewer repeated with the original cast, and even fewer still made it to BBC CD. (Whenever they did, I purchased the BBC CD to replace my own recording.)

* Better than audio cassette and required no tape-turning or tape changes during long broadcasts (some plays were well over 2 hours in duration) and could make use of the video recorder's built in timer for unattended recordings unlike, using a cassette deck.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not true yet - though Govt has welcomed Hargreaves report that recommends exactly that; legislation expected

US has already passed law that does officially take into account fair use - so it's fine there.

rgill90

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ah my mistake - jumping the gun a bit there - the hargreaves report is what i meant, but yes its expected all recommendations in this report will be endorsed by the Gov't soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts