How do you pronounce Cyrus?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So how do you pronounce Cyrus?

Is it Cyrus with a Cy as in dip?

Is it Cyrus with a Cy as in Simon Cowell?

Which is correct - from a Cyrus perspective?

groberton said:
So how do you pronounce Cyrus?

Is it Cyrus with a Cy as in dip?

Is it Cyrus with a Cy as in Simon Cowell?

Which is correct - from a Cyrus perspective?

I'm sure you can do better than this... :|

Maybe you could get a few hints from this thread.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-do-you-pronounce-teac?page=7

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Odd, I've found most dealers seem to pronounce it "cirrus", like the cloud. Don't like that pronunciation myself though.

I've encountered at least one who pronounced it as in 'You cannot be...'

But as ever in these things, I tend to go with how the company founder pronounced it. It's a rule I've followed ever since a dealer who shall remain anonymous/is hopefully lost in the mists of time spent half an hour trying to sell me an Acram amplifier.

EDIT: Other great mispronunciations of our hi-fi time:

O'Nikko: makes AV amps, apparently
Nayeem: that outfit down in Salisbury
Roscan: self-explanatory, like kids in a Kandy shop
The old B&W/BMW confusion

And the oft-repeated classic among classics, from the Bristol Show a few years back: 'What do you think of those Marantz amps? I've just been down and had a chat with that Mr Irishwater...'

A

Anonymous

Well if the founder of the company says sigh-russ then that's good for me. I'm glad, as cirrus sounds a bit conceited for some reason.

Read the other thread (hadn't seen it) - very good. Note to self: Never get into a language debate with Mr. Everard...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
mrlizard13 said:
No idea, but I prefer her father's music.

A very telling quip, given that Cyrus makes you think of

miley-cyrus_dot_com-highschoolmusicaldvdrelease-screening007.jpg
, and not

ccb67ac5a112d347315a3a921a56d80d9a9c8ead.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
xtsili said:
Given that the Cyrus company founder is of Iranian origin (aka Persia), it is obvious that the "cyrus" name refers to this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_the_Great

So for the right pronunciation just go back in time to your school days and recall how your history teacher used to pronounce "Cyrus the King".

I don't think the UK History syllabus covers Persian history generally, mine certainly didn't.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I don't think the UK History syllabus covers Persian history generally, mine certainly didn't.

In which case, to drag it back into home entertainment terms of reference, Cirrus the Virrus would have made no sense at all...

cyrus.jpg

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
The_Lhc said:

In which case, to drag it back into home entertainment terms of reference, Cirrus the Virrus would have made no sense at all...

cyrus.jpg

Forget any references to company founders, sons, or Persian Kings. THIS is the de-facto reason it is Sigh-Rus.

Andrew Everard said:
The_Lhc said:
Odd, I've found most dealers seem to pronounce it "cirrus", like the cloud. Don't like that pronunciation myself though.

I've encountered at least one who pronounced it as in 'You cannot be...'

But as ever in these things, I tend to go with how the company founder pronounced it. It's a rule I've followed ever since a dealer who shall remain anonymous/is hopefully lost in the mists of time spent half an hour trying to sell me an Acram amplifier.

EDIT: Other great mispronunciations of our hi-fi time:

O'Nikko: makes AV amps, apparently
Nayeem: that outfit down in Salisbury
Roscan: self-explanatory, like kids in a Kandy shop
The old B&W/BMW confusion

And the oft-repeated classic among classics, from the Bristol Show a few years back: 'What do you think of those Marantz amps? I've just been down and had a chat with that Mr Irishwater...'

Most of the pronounciations are in the link I dropped in, including the second post which covers Cyrus...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts