how do you gauge a good speaker stand

A

Anonymous

By the spikes, how sturdy the spikes are, how easy they are to adjust, it doesn't seem a important area, but trying to lever a heavy stands with poor spikes is a right old pain.

A

Anonymous

When would you use a lightweight stand as opposed to a heavy, filled one? Spendor's SA1 stands are lightweight but it's not clear what the gains are.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Epos too have used open stands as opposed to heavy filled ones. I think it shifts vibrational frequencies to different levels but I'm not sure.

What I have found in the past is that filling stands does'nt always improve things. I had some atacamas which I filled and it sapped all the life out of the sounds. Yes, bass was 'deeper and firmer', focus improved a tad but there was no animation to cellos etc anymore. The bounce had vanished. So I emptied them and although I've lost some 'hifi traits' it was a hell of a lot nicer and more natural to listen to.

Incidentally, Onkyo released a speaker based on thin wall guitar panels that resonate with the music just as the instrument does. Boesendorfer also work on a panel resonance principle.

Solid is not always preferable. Just experiment and do what you think sounds best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts