How do you Bi Amp from two different integrated Amps.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have an Arcam and B&W683 attached to it. So if i want to buy another amplifier to bi amp my speakers, i beleive its very difficult. How will i be able to magae volume of both the low frequency and high frequency as the volume level will be different. Cohession may also go for a toss :help: Does that mean you need to have same amp. :wall:

or

In case i use a power amp the Arcam is 50 w / channel. so if get a power amp and connect through pre out of Arcam (Can I???) If yes the powr amp is say 70 watts or even fifty i am sure both my amp will behave differently in curent and out put even if Arcam controls the volume. How do you get the best in this case. :wall:

I am getting a deal on Cyrus 6vs2 i beleive a 40 watt amp. but how do i bi amp my b & w using Cyrus 6vs2 or any amp along side Arcam A 19. 683 are power hungry though.

I may be completely wrong in my thingking though but please enlighten me... Come on forum regulars...

Thanks is advance...

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I doubt if you would get it to work with differing brands of amp, and why would you want to. Bi amping will work if you have a int plus power, or pre and powers, preferably from the same manuacturer. I have never found it to being any real improvement, unless you go the cost and complexity of going active. If you need more amplification power, then get a better amp.

jjbomber

Normally when you bi-amp you use a matching power amp to the first integrated amp. If you do it with 2 integrated amps, you would have to set the unity gain on the second integrated, so that the volume is controlled by the first integrated. Basically you must have matching amps. To try and do so from 2 different amps from two different companies with different power outputs means that you will literally have to set the volumes independently every time you listen, including each track seperately on a CD album. Don't go there.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Frankly, I wouldn't bother trying to biamp using two integrated amps, as it's going to get messy and annoying in the long-term. Yes, you can balance the two up by using a connection from preamp out on the Arcam to a line-in on the second amp, then adjusting the level on the second amp to get the sound you want (adjusting the relative levels of the bass and treble, on other words) and then leaving the second amp volume setting well alone.

But however hard you try, the tonal balance of the two amps is going to be different, as will be the way the two respond to different volume levels in recordings, dynamics and so on. See what I mean by getting messy?

Instead, I'd be thinking along the lines of adding on an Arcam power amp, as it will be pretty much gain-matched with your A19, even if the power output is different of the two is different..

A used p75, P85 or Alpha 10P would do very nicely, and they can be picked up for sensible money.

I'd use the power amp to drive the bass sections of the speakers, and the integrated to drive the mid/treble

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't go down that path myself.

Don't know about the A19, but the A85 can be used as an integrated, a pre-amp or as a power-amp. If the A19 is as flexible, you could always get another A19 to Bi-amp with.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't really attempt to bi amp that system you have there. I agree with spiny norman, I think you should just leave it as it is, or in my opinion try a higher power rating pre and power...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts