How do I play Sky HD through my new Onkyo TX-SR607 Receiver - ADVICE NEEDED!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please can someone help me as I am new to home cinema receivers and im a bit stuck.

I have just purchased the Onkyo 607 and Q Acoustics 1010i speakers and last night I was setting it all up. It all went fairly well (considering it's my first time) and ive managed to get most of it set up; I have goy me Sony BD Player connected and it sounds great. But how do I connect my Sky HD to the receiver? I assumed that all I would need to do would be to plug the HDMI Lead from the back of Sky box in to the back of the receiver (like you do with the BD Player), but obviously this can't be correct as nothing happens.

Please can someone tell me how I connect it up?

Kind Regards

Andy

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
With sky most people on here route the HDMI straight to the tv, then use an optical cable to the amp/reciever.

Don't forget to assighn the inputs in the amps menu.

hope this helps.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andyb1984,

your Sky box only outputs stereo sound over its HDMI connection. To enjoy TV programmes encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 you need to connect an optical digital cable from the back of your Sky box to one of the optical inputs on the back of the Onkyo. Make sure that the optical input on the amp is assigned to take the signal from your Sky box. You can do this through the Onkyo's on-screen menus (check the instruction manual if you struggle). You then need to go into your Sky box's sound settings (Services -> system set-up -> sound settings) and tell it to output dolby digital over its optical output. The Onkyo will then be able to automatically detect incoming Dolby Digital signals and switch from stereo to surround sound.

hopefully this should help!

A

Anonymous

Thats great. Thanks for your help; ill go and get myself an optical digital cable tonight and connect it all up.

Much Appreciated.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Andy,

From your original post I'm taking it that you've not got any picture or sound, in which case an optical lead won't help you out (at least not in terms of the picture). I really don't mean to come across as patronising but I'm assuming that you've connected your Sky HD box via HDMI to the CBL/SAT input on the 607 (I think it's the 3rd input, but can't be sure until I get home and have a look at mine)? Having done this, I'm also assuming that you have selected CBL/SAT on the receiver remote (or from the receiver's front panel)? If both these are correct, you could always check whether there's any problem with the cable by using the one currently used for connecting your Blu-Ray player to the receiver. Failing that, try putting the cable from your Sky HD into one of the other spare HDMI inputs and select from the remote. There is always the possibility that the input is faulty but this shouldn't be a disaster unless you already have five sources using HDMI which I'm guessing you don't and are unlikely to have for a while.

Hope this helps,

Gareth

A

Anonymous

Hi Gareth,

Yes, got it working really easily. Just connected a digital optical cable from sky hd into the receiver, did the same with the hdmi cable, pressed the 'CBL/SAT button on the receivers remote and bobs your sister ... surround sound when watching normal tv.

Thanks

Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts