How do i make speaker cables?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I fancy having a go at making some speaker cables. The only problem is I aint got a clue, where would I get wire,sheathing (is that a word) etc, and how do you do it. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Try www.tnt-audio.com - it has details of homebrew cables, interconnects, stands etc.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/cables/diy-speaker-cable-faceoff

I have Cat 5 V5 (although looking at the picture of theirs, my twists aren't as tight). Cat 5 is available on the internet for pennies per metre (I bought 2 rolls of 60m, although I ended up cutting them down a lot when I finished).

Stripping each individual wire is something which I did while watching a movie; it is pretty mind numbing and can be tricky at first. I used a stanley knife, and after not too long I was stripping them quite nicely.

Of course, this cable has very high capacitance (or inductance, I forget which), and my amp simply cut out after a few seconds when I had the original lengths of 3.3 metres in. However, cutting them down to below 2 metres fixed the problem; it could have been the inductance/capacitance, I am not entirely sure, but it works perfectly now.

ÿAll in all, I am relatively happy with my cable; it is definitely NOT a downgrade from the CHord Carnival Silver Screen, but I can't detect huge gains either. But at a fraction of a fraction of the cost for the Chord, you won't find me complaining...

And also, I have dressed mine in some 'expandable polyester sleeving' (ebay again), which smartens it up a little and means I don't have to look at the hideous grey cable all the time!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS