How do I connect my Onkyo amp

tbwriting

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Philips 42PFL5008T smart TV, a Samsung DVD HR 755 hard drive dvd player/recorder, an Onkyo TX-SR607 amplifier, Harman Karmon HKTS7 theatre sound system and a Humax HDFOX T2 set-top freeview receiver. I don’t have either satellite or cable, so incoming channels are from the rooftop aerial coaxial cable. The configuration for connecting these devices together by reading each device manual is so confusing, but somehow the system kind of works, but not as it should or as I would like it to. I have connected the dvd player, the freeview box and TV to the Onkyo amplifier using HDMi cables. The problem seems to be that if I connect the incoming aerial cable direct to the TV, I can’t get the theatre surround speakers to work. The sound comes from the TV’s own speakers but when switching to the amplifier the TV says that option has failed. Also, with the aerial in the TV, I can’t get the TV to recognise the dvd player or the freeview set-top box (though it will access the TVs own built-in freeview). If I connect the incoming aerial to the set-top freeview box, I can get all the devices to work and get sound from the theatre speakers … but, then I can’t access the TV’s own freeview system for USB flash-stick recording or use some of the TVs other useful services. And I have to constantly manually connect through HDMI-1 on the TV remote before I can get any picture, and then connect the amplifier by its remote before I get any sound. It’s so frustrating to have great equipment, but a set-up that is hard to employ. Does anyone know a better way of connecting these devices so they work properly?

tbwriting

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I thoughtthat might be at least one of the answers to the puzzle. It doesn't get around the issue with the multiple switching of stuff to use HDMI-1 and amp etc every time by remotes, but if it's the only way then so be it. I'll try a splitter today and see how it goes. Thanks.

tbwriting

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The splitter worked, but only by allowing access to both TV freeview (still without theatre surround speaker audio) and to Set Top Box Freeview (that does produce theatre surround audio). But the problems are still there, albeit with less swapping of cables to get either of the above. I have also tried sending 6-channel audo video mpeg files to the TV, which it receives perfectly, but even these files won't play any external speaker audio through the ONKYO - just fairly decent sterio through the TV speakers. I'm at a bit of a loss with this problem, but there must be an answer I'm just not seeing (or should that be, I'm just not hearing).

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have an Onkyo 905 and I have my Denon 1920 DVD player, freesat box and my Pansonic DMR BWT 720 ( its Freeview HD and has 1 TB harddrive and can play and record to Blurays) connected to my Onyo via HDMIs IN and I connect the Onkyo to the TV via the HDMI Out. I use my Pansonic to watch recorded programmes or live transmissions and I find only the BBC transmits multi channel sound with HD pictures occasionally. Where as ITV HD and Channel 4 HD only transmit in stereo with HD content.

I use an aerial booster with 2 outputs one goes to the TV and the other goes to the Pansonic and this works fine in Kidderminster.

I hope this helps.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts