How do I choose headphones?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, my 'apple in-ear headphones with mic and remote' are heavily worn out now and started to loose sound on one side today (I think I am sure it is not my ear [:D]), so it looks like I may have to buy a new pair soon.

Thinking about it, the new ones need to be:

- in ear type
- must have high quality sound (worth playing lossless files), possibly more than one driver
- must have ipod controls built in
- budget up to abt 300 quid (but flexible)

OK, I can dig the internet up and find some models that fit the spec, but how do I choose one for sound? With HIFI you get a demo with a dealer. How do you choose an in-ear headphone???

for example, from a guide: .......... The sound is very balanced, and sits somewhere between the powerful bass response of the Sennheiser IE8 and the clarity and accuracy of the Shure SE530.........

How do i find how powerful is "powerful"? is it enough for me or too much? How do I compare which one suits me?

No returns (or demos!) on in-ear headphones, I understand...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
what? this too?!
emotion-3.gif
emotion-2.gif

seriuosly, though - I have bought a pair previosly (an inexpensive one) based on reviews and was very disappointed. don't want to do it again. there must be something to make the choice if not completely sure then at least less risky. 150-300 quid is not a small amount to just gamble...

ps. how is yor headphone amp design and build is going, PJ? have not seen any posts recently...
emotion-18.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
At the WHFSV show in London you could audition in-ear headphones. Maybe you need to go to a show?

The headphone amp thread has totally stalled. I don't have the spare time at the moment to make adequate progress. Sorry.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The Bristol show? I was there! But as I was not looking for any headphones then I did not try an in-ears, I only tried the Grados, out of interest.

I think shows are great for choosing and buying gear - I got some great discounts and home trial deals from shows. Definately good thing to do. But the next Bristol show is only next year ...

Are there any others planned sooner?

re the headphone amp project - I hope it is only a temporary lack of time and you have not lost interest!

idc

I have asked at some dealers about demoing IEMs and they said that they would do it, if you could get your shortlist down to say two and they knew they would get a sale.

I have only tried one IEM, the Radius DDM, review here
http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/472370.aspx

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Ah, idc, I was hoping you will reply!

Which dealers were these?

I have just started to put together a short list and also looking at where to buy...

Can you recommend some resources for info?

idc

I had a day whilst the car was being sorted and went into various Glasgow Hifi shops and asked them. I got the same reply each time. Only Sevenoaks is part of a chain.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Spoke with a guy from hifiheadphones - they seem to have good knowledge of current products and can arrange some demos (in their Brighton shop). Home trial is difficult but not impossible and a return would involve a cost penalty.

From his advice, the current offer (of those with full ipod controls) is basically 2 models from Klipsh (4i and 10i) and Shure 115m.

His advice was actually, if possible, to wait to pre-Christmas time when he expects many more models with apple-certifeid controls to come out, including advanced ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts