How can I find out my network password?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Just had the hard drive replaced on my MacBook, no it didn't need it, and the problem with the fan which I took the stupid thing into John Lewis for is still a problem. What is it with nerds that they don't listen to anything you tell them!

Anyway, the upshot is I have lost everything off my hard drive, so I need to reload various things like Office, Airtunes, Spotify etc etc. But I don't have the WEP password to get onto my wireless network (currently using the missus' computer).

Can anyone help? For info I didn't set the network up in the first place so I have no idea what the password is. Grrrrr, those meddling kids!

To top it all off my computer still needs the problem looking at and I am left needing to reload loads of crap too. Grrr again!

Funnily enough the warranty report stated that they had tested it thoroughly after being 'fixed' including running the DVD drive for 2 hours. Grrrr again as it doesn't have a DVD drive.

Upon complaining to Customer Services at least Emma was very understanding about my plight and they have agreed to pick it up next Wednesday to fix it again, and loan me another computer for the duration and have given me £20 for goodwill.

JD if you're reading this, I've gone through the process you mentioned last time to retrieve my password on preferences using the pencil icon but even when you click 'Show password' it just comes up with asterisks.

Help...

A

Anonymous

i think that if you connect directly to you're router using an ethernet cable, you can go into the routers settings and recover the password...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:i think that if you connect directly to you're router using an ethernet cable, you can go into the routers settings and recover the password...

I don't have an ethernet cable though.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
maxflinn:i think that if you connect directly to you're router using an ethernet cable, you can go into the routers settings and recover the password...

is there not one going from you're phone line output to you're router? if so, unplug it and connect you're mac to the router, you dont need to be online to get you're password, but i think you need to type in said routers code into you're pc's adress bar, for example, a belkin routers adress is 192.168.2.1,i think, tell us what make router you have and we should be able to find its code?

scene

No, not easily. Best solution is max's, which is to connect with an Ethernet cable. Hang on, if you're using your wife's computer to access the Internet, and you're going via the wifi router, you should be able to connect to the router's admin page via your web browser. Usually on 192.168.1.1. From there, you should be able to find the weep password.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
scene:No, not easily. Best solution is max's, which is to connect with an Ethernet cable. Hang on, if you're using your wife's computer to access the Internet, and you're going via the wifi router, you should be able to connect to the router's admin page via your web browser. Usually on 192.168.1.1. From there, you should be able to find the weep password.

How do I do that?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:JoelSim:

is there not one going from you're phone line output to you're router? if so, unplug it and connect you're mac to the router, you dont need to be online to get you're password, but i think you need to type in said routers code into you're pc's adress bar, for example, a belkin routers adress is 192.168.2.1,i think, tell us what make router you have and we should be able to find its code?

I'm a bit worried about unplugging the router cables, all sorts could happen then

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
scene:No, not easily. Best solution is max's, which is to connect with an Ethernet cable. Hang on, if you're using your wife's computer to access the Internet, and you're going via the wifi router, you should be able to connect to the router's admin page via your web browser. Usually on 192.168.1.1. From there, you should be able to find the weep password.

How do I do that?
what make is you're router?

scene

JoelSim:

How do I do that?

If your wife's pc is connected to the network, load your internet browser and type http://192.168.1.1 in the location (for a netgear router) or http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin. This should popup your router's admin page. Username default is admin, password admin (if you haven't changed it).
EDIT go win max's suggestion for the address.

A

Anonymous

must be sorted its been 90 seconds
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:try, Administrator, and leave the password blank..

OK it now comes up with a user name and password box to authorise the change. I have no idea what this is

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
maxflinn:try, Administrator, and leave the password blank..

OK it now comes up with a user name and password box to authorise the change. I have no idea what this is
type, administrator, for the username and leave the password option blank..

A

Anonymous

scene:maxflinn:try, Administrator, and leave the password blank..

Sorry max I appear to be kibitzing - shall I leave you to it?no no, im googling on the spot here
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts