houston I have a problem - can you help with this query?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All

I originally had my speakers bi-wired, however i have had to change my room around, and now i have had to get much longer speaker cable. I could not afford to bi-wire the speakers now.

So my systen is set up now, and i only get a tiny amount of sound through my speakers. for instance, i have to turn my 150watt amplifier upto max volume and i can only just hear the music.

What i want to know is with the 4 connectors on the back of each speaker, and only 2 connectors used. Do i have to plug something into the un-used connectors, so that the speakers know they are only single-wired?

Thanks

Stan.

A

Anonymous

as ear said put the plates back on the terminals they would have come with the speakers if they had four terminals on back.i bought some qed anniversary biwire off the roll 26ft in length cut em in half terminated them myself with cheap banana plugs all for about 107.00 cdn.from hifi cables thats cheap bought the banana plugs from rona hardware store for $15.00 thats in canada.

A

Anonymous

If you can't afford new bi-wire cables right now, and you've lost the original terminal bridgig plates, use a short length of the same speaker cable you are using for the long runs between your am and the speakers to "bridge" between the HF+ and LF+, HF- and LF- on terminals on the speakers. You can buy special banana plugs (no more than a few quid each I would imagine) that enable you to push one ordinary banana plug into the back of each special one.

Your set up should be something like 8 inches (20 cm) of speaker cable with an ordinary banana plug on one end and the special banana plug described on the other. You'll need four such cables. Your hifi dealer should be able to make these up for you if you can't do so yourself. Use these short cables to "bridge" between the HF+ and LF+, HF- and LF- terminals on each speaker. Then plug your long speaker cables into the back of the special plugs. Job done.

Now the arguements will start about whether to plug the main speaker cables in at the HF end or the LF end, or even one into the HF side, the other into the LF side. That's like the argument about whether you should put the milk in before the tea or the tea in then the milk. There is no right answer, see what sounds best to you. THE MAIN THING, however, is to ensure the speakers are connected in the same phase, with the +'s and -'s (or red and black) terminals connected to the correct terminals on the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS