HOUSE PARTIES!!!!!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Basically I own a wharfedale sw150 which cost £20 and a set of wharfedale valdus 500's+an arcam alpha 9 which cost £300 together.

Can anyone recommend an upgrade to the sub, want a LOT more bass :D?

Also is there a way i can remove bass below around 50-60hz from the valdus speakers? could i run the signal through a cheap av receiver (as smalls or something)? and use the arcam to power the speakers without negatively effecting the signal path too much? Seems like a waste of amp power when the sub produces far more output below 60 hz anyway, and the top woofer which is also the midrange starts to get massive excursions at high volumes due to its tuning frequency of 100hz.

what about a high/low pass filter for the valdus'? thanks for any help

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
not sure about splitting the frequency, maybe try finding a cheap active crossover? think club or pro gear.

for the sub - try playing around with positioning. i find that at parties to get more bass i put my sub in the corner of the room with the most solid walls. it makes the bass boomy but gives the desired effect at parties.

A

Anonymous

As for the subwoofer, try placing it in a corner as mentioned above. Does sound boomy but I don't think you're striving for an audiophile level of sound reproduction :) especially at a party. If you really need more bass, hit eBay for a REL Strata III or a Q400, both old subs but they will literally bring any housing structure to its knees and shouldn't cost much more than £200 for a good used example. Check local Hi-Fi shops for Used/Ex-Dem kit aswell.

As for the Valdus, I would leave them as they are. If you cut of the frequency as high as 50 or 60Hz, the sound will be very off, and as soon as the sub kicks in and the speakers stop, you will notice a huge gain in volume which will sound very wrong. I'd just leave them as they are. The more bass the better for a party, right? ;) As for the 100Hz problem, this is more a positioning issue than the actual speakers themselves. My mission 782's have the same problem around 120Hz because I can't put them in a good enough position in this room shape. Try moving them sideways (closer and further apart), you'll notice the frequency that it starts to emphasise will change.

Don't go to a cheap A/V reciever to set up a filter, especially since the Alpha 9 will sound far beyond any cheap A/V reciever.

A

Anonymous

You could try one of these

Behringer SUPER-X PRO CX2310 - £54

Problem with it is it requires balanced interconnects. You can buy XLR to RCA interconnects but it is added expense.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts