Hot Nad D3020

gasolin

I feel my nad d3020 is a bit hot on both sides of the amp, i think it easy can get more then 30 deegres celsius and think i would be a problem to use the amp with a 2 ohm low sensitive speaker even when max power is 150 watt pr channel in 2 ohm .

Mine is placed horizontal on the side with the heapdhone input to the left like this http://www.hi-techcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/9c3b7__NAD_D_3020_35757056_04_610x436.jpg don't know what to place under the side of the amp so it can get some air, is the rubber pads god enough.

volume is about 40 and if i play loud 20, my speakers are Boston A26 (are they an easy load for the amp, ohm?)

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I stand mine upright and I can't remember it ever running warm, no matter how long or hard I run it. I also have about 2-3 inches of clearance on all sides.

gasolin

Vladimir said:
gasolin said:
Some speakers as well as amps dosn't measure as the spec say

That would be illegal.

Just look here the Klipsch RB 61 II are rated at 95 db but only have 90.5 db sensitivity

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-reference-rb-61-ii-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures.

My zensor 1 is rated at 53 hz at -3db they are about -10 db at 50 hz at 100db it's about 20 db (german review) http://www.hifiklubben.com/files/Test/Dali/201110_AUDIO_ZENSOR1.pdf

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Manufacturers manupilate specs but can't lie. It's a showing some - not showing all game. Those speakers may very well have 95db sensitivity at 1kHz with some other equipment in anechoic chamber.

A speaker that is declared nominal 8 ohms, 89db and uses a bass reflex port, even with most optimistic manufacturers specs will be vacation on the Bahamas compared to a 4 ohm compression type speaker with 84db nominal.

IMO best to keep the NAD standing tall, not on its side and see if things improve.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I stand mine upright and it does get fairly warm, but never exceeds this temp regardless of how long in use. I think it's normal for it to do this, I read elsewhere, in a couple of reviews that it does run warm. To me the vents on the side may not actually be vents at all and are purely decorative. Shine a light on them and there is a backing under the vent, not a hole into the casework. This is probably why you can lie it down horizontally too, which would block one "vent" entirely if it were indeed a vent. Then again maybe this is a flaw, an insert not removed from the case work properly during manufacturing? Could be why some people don't find it gets warm.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
eek.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Could you check the vents on yours npoguy please? You didn't find yours to get warm.

Personally I think it is stress related.

Some years ago we had a customer for whom nothing would work correctly. Excellent components, some used for months in our dem room would unexpectedly miss behave when taken home (for a trial) by this guy. He had so many issues that he was on first name terms with half the Naim service department, the only person I have ever known to 'destroy' 3 Nac72.

The guy was a bit hyper, slightly paranoid even, we came to the conclusion that he was somehow 'projecting' his anxiety, his issues onto the equipment, we quite literally could not see any other reason for the persistent failures, malfunctions.

We coined a phrase for this condition, we called him 'psycotoxic'.

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Could you check the vents on yours npoguy please? You didn't find yours to get warm.

Right now, I'm enjoying a glorious afternoon outside in the southeastern part of the US. When I get home, I'll fire it up again and see if I can get it hot! :rockout:

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
ChrisIRL said:

Some years ago we had a customer for whom nothing would work correctly. Excellent components, some used for months in our dem room would unexpectedly miss behave when taken home (for a trial) by this guy. He had so many issues that he was on first name terms with half the Naim service department, the only person I have ever known to 'destroy' 3 Nac72.

The guy was a bit hyper, slightly paranoid even, we came to the conclusion that he was somehow 'projecting' his anxiety, his issues onto the equipment, we quite literally could not see any other reason for the persistent failures, malfunctions.

Didn't say it's not working, quiet the opposite in fact. Never had an issue with the heating, took it to be normal. Fact is the vents do not appear to be vents at all. An observation is all, from someone who actually owns the amp in question and likes it very much.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
davedotco said:
ChrisIRL said:

Didn't say it's not working, quiet the opposite in fact. Never had an issue with the heating, took it to be normal. Fact is the vents do not appear to be vents at all. An observation is all, from someone who actually owns the amp in question and likes it very much.

Sorry Chris, poor posting on my part....... :silenced:

Really was the other chap I was refering too........ :doh:

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:

just to update: I've been running it for an hour pretty hard and it's only slightly warm to the touch. In fact, the only place where it is warm is right in the middle where the NAD badge is on the side and also at the same spot on the opposite side--no temp increase along the edges of the box, top or front. Again, mine stands vertically.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
npoguy said:
ChrisIRL said:

just to update: I've been running it for an hour pretty hard and it's only slightly warm to the touch. In fact, the only place where it is warm is right in the middle where the NAD badge is on the side and also at the same spot on the opposite side--no temp increase along the edges of the box, top or front. Again, mine stands vertically.

Thanks npoguy. That's where mine gets warm too, just by the badge. Pretty normal it seems. Besides all that, don't all amps get warm anyway?

gasolin

npoguy said:
ChrisIRL said:

That's also my experience just want to know if mine get's to hot.

I used some of the silicone,rubber feet from my zensor 1 and that give med atleats 0.5" clearence

stege

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I do too find the D3020 to be running a bit hot. Not warm, but hot! This is a class D amplifier, only 2x30W, so it should run way cooler than this. Mine doesnt even get pushed hard, I only listen with volume set to 40, rarely between 40 and 20. The amp is in the upright position. Speakers are Monitor Audio RX1 using Supra 2x 4mm tin plated copper speaker cables.

wraromer

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
... and this is what NAD support told me:

"If you are feeling the D3020 running hot, is it on the left side by the NAD logo? If so, this is normal performance.

For this is where the heatsink is located and it is close to the case. It will create heat quickly and again if you have any concerns about temp or performance, please feel free to contact your local dealer."

The interesting part for me: I own several class D amps and they stay totally cool no matter how hard I drive them. Additionally it is strange that the rise in temperature sometimes appears to be slower depending on the input channel. My guess: it is the DAC that runs hot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts