Horror Europa

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Currently on BBC iPlayer until the middle of the month. Written and presented by Mark Gatiss (League Of Gentlemen), this documentary covers European horror, beginning with Nosferatu through to the Giallos of the 70's. Highly recommended.

It's not showing at the moment, but he also did a three part documentary called A History Of Horror, which is worth looking out for.

I notice he's also doing A Real History Of Science Fiction, a four part documentary currently in pre-production.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers david. I'll look it up.

i really like mark Gatiss and the History of Horror was very good.

The sci fi one should be good too when it happens.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I hope he does more stuff, even if it treads over ground he's covered already. His documentaries seem to be very good for beginners in this genre, or the younger of us who may not know the history of the genre. The only problem is that some of the dissections of some films give them being away. Because of this documentary I've ordered Les Diaboliques, and unless Mark has been very clever, the ending has been revealed. Having said that, I may not have ordered it if it weren't for his documentary.

I suppose I feel a bit of a connection with him as he's about 3 years older than me, so we grew up around the same time, and with similar films (Hammer horror etc), so any mentions of his childhood experiences with these films seem very familiar.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I hope he does more stuff, even if it treads over ground he's covered already. His documentaries seem to be very good for beginners in this genre, or the younger of us who may not know the history of the genre. The only problem is that some of the dissections of some films give them being away. Because of this documentary I've ordered Les Diaboliques, and unless Mark has been very clever, the ending has been revealed. Having said that, I may not have ordered it if it weren't for his documentary.

I suppose I feel a bit of a connection with him as he's about 3 years older than me, so we grew up around the same time, and with similar films (Hammer horror etc), so any mentions of his childhood experiences with these films seem very familiar.

Yes he did give away Les Diaboliques, unfortunately. I think maybe he's not aiming it at complete beginners and he maybe expects people to have seen that. That show introduced me to The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, which I'm sure I'd have never come across otherwise and was thoroughly enjoyable.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was fortunate enough to get Les Diaboliques amongst a massive job lot of foreign films at an auction. So far, it's easily been my favourite from that lot, a really great film.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts